This individual is directly responsible for the day-to-day operations of all program areas at YMCA Camp Chingachgook. While the leadership of our Overnight Camp & Day Camp programs will be central to this role, this position will also have oversight to develop strategies and processes that increase revenue, improve program quality, and provide exceptional customer service in all aspects of year-round programs at Chingachgook: Summer Camp, Adventure Trips, Outdoor Education & Groups Services, and Community Programs.
This position will have a minimum of 1 year-round, direct report as well as overseeing a seasonal staff team of 100-160 people in the summer months (including international J-1 Visa hires). The Director of Operations & Summer Camp will also focus on the needs of the community and building local relationships in order to expand our outreach in line with DEI goals. This position must have an accurate assessment of program and facility needs, personnel, and finances to ensure that the mission and goals of Camp and of the Association are met.
- BA/BS in Camping, Business, Non-profit Management, Physical Ed, Recreation, Sports Mgt., Health Ed or a related field or equivalent experience.
- 3 - 5 years experience working with youth, teens and adults in a leadership capacity, preferably full-time.
- Minimum 4 years experience managing staff.
- Excellent communication skills and comfort in talking with parents/guardians both on the phone and in person.
- Adept at crisis communication and problem-solving in a fast-paced environment.
- Current certifications in CPR and Wilderness First Aid, or willing to be trained.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office programs, CampMinder or camp registration software, & social media.
- Excellent human relation skills, good organizational and communication skills.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of the YMCA and its capacity to build strong kids, families and communities. The ability to articulate and model YMCA’s four core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility are essential.
- Oversee the development of annual operating objectives and plan for the assigned program areas. Monitor the achievement of these objectives, taking appropriate action to ensure they are met.
- Develop and recommend new programs, processes, partnerships, strategies, and approaches to summer camp and year-round programs.
Provide leadership and professional development to both year-round and seasonal staff. Review and evaluate staff performance. Develop strategies to motivate, grow, and retain staff.
- Communicate with branch team and admin departments to work collaboratively to realize CDY strategic plan goals and work towards operational excellence.
- Maintain and foster partnerships in the community. Create strong positive relationships with the surrounding community by attending community events and building partnerships with local businesses, other non-profits, and governmental entities.
- Cultivate, train and oversee volunteers for program involvement (Y-Knot & Alumni) and assist the Executive Director in recruiting volunteers for the council of advisors. Attend or lead committee meetings as assigned.
- Assist with the creation of a marketing plan and schedule as it relates to the promotion of all camp programs including press releases, newsletters, emails, brochures, and social media.
- Participate and support all CDY special events and fundraising activities, including Annual Campaign, branch fundraisers and open houses.
- Ensure all department operations are consistent with the Association, local, state and ACA procedures. This includes safety, insurance, incident/accident reports, purchasing, HR and Payroll procedures, accounting, Y standards and maintain appropriate logs and records. In conjunction with the CDYMCA administrative staff, maintain and regularly update Camp’s Emergency Action Plan.
- Participate in the decision-making and problem-solving process of the camp management team. Primary point of contact for parent or child de-escalation conversations. Resolve complex and sensitive issues calmly and effectively utilizing proven behavior modification techniques.
- Keep up with industry trends in child/youth development, participate in regional conference and YUSA Camp Calls in order to make recommendations to Executive Director.
- Maintain a safe work environment, free of clutter, debris and hazardous conditions.
- Report all accidents and incidents involving self, participants, guests and other employees.
- Maintain cleanliness of the facility as a member of the Clean Team.
- Manage the staff: Lead the recruitment and hiring of seasonal staff. Train, develop, supervise and evaluate, full-time staff as well as seasonal staff in assigned program areas. This includes following all policies, procedures and guidelines of the CDYMCA.
- Responsible for recruiting, hiring, training, evaluating, supervising, and scheduling summer leadership & counseling staff (~160 people), health lodge staff and year-round program instructors as needed.
- Organize and facilitate regular meetings and communications with staff to ensure work plans are being adhered to or modified as needed, vision and goals are known, objectives are well prioritized, and tasks are well managed.
- Develop tools to better communicate and provide resources to all staff and ensure all staff are up to date with mandatory trainings and/or certifications.
- Alongside the Branch Executive & other full-time staff, create, monitor and manage assigned operating budgets for adventure trips, outdoor education and group services in order to optimize resources and ensure staff meet these goals. Take lead to formulate, administer, and monitor budget for Summer Camp Department.
- Actively participate in the Y’s Annual Campaign individually, motivate staff team of campaigners, and lead special events to fundraise for Scholarships, Y-Knot and Alumni.
- Research and apply for industry-specific grants to build upon existing programs and/or create new opportunities.