DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities include resident camp and off season rentals of camp, financial development of the Camp, facilities and maintenance of the Camp, staff development, board development and community relations. Camp Director must live on site; lakefront housing is provided.
- Relationship Building – Engage in active listening with members in order to build relationships, understand individual’s goals and interests, and take the initiative to assist in the achievement of those goals.
- Customer Service Excellence – Provide excellent customer service and positive communication to all customers, including but not limited to, members, participants, guests, volunteers, and fellow employees, by listening first and responding to their needs in a safe and effective manner.
- Role Model – Model and encourage the development and practice of the YMCA character values (Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility), performing all assigned duties with energy and enthusiasm. Abide by all personnel policies and guidelines, follow all reasonable directives issued by leadership, and uphold rules, regulations and safety standards associated with the YMCA.
- Annual Support Campaign – Provide Leadership for the annual campaign and other special events when possible and as directed.
- Risk Management – Remain familiar with risk management procedures in the YMCA facility, which include but are not limited to: swimming pool rules and procedures, current CPR/AED and First Aid certification, child abuse prevention, and understanding specific responsibilities during fire, hurricane, tornado, or other emergency situations.
- Develop Camp Advisory Board and other community relations and ensure financial development success through the annual campership campaign and other grant opportunities
- Responsible for development, monitoring and implementation of the annual Camp budget and taking appropriate action to correct variances and ensure financial success.
- Responsible for overall staff development and success, including recruiting, hiring, training, evaluating, and coaching year-round and seasonal staff.
- Ensure development of routines, schedules, and procedures for camp operation.
- Implement effective marketing strategies to increase camper and off-season group registrations.
- Maintain positive and regular communication with camper families, staff members and alumni throughout the year through e-mail campaigns, newsletters, phone calls and planned events.
- Monitor and adhere to all health and safety regulations, define and monitor crisis management plan, including emergency procedures.
- Ensure that camp operations are regularly evaluated by staff, participants and rental groups and conduct on-going assessments for continuous improvement of all facilities, operations and procedures.
- Monitor and ensure safety and all procedures as they pertain to managing risk for all campers, guests and staff.
- Actively participate as a member of the Executive Team and Operations Team and conduct regular staff meetings with Camp staff as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: BS or BA Recreation, Human Services, Business or a related field.
Budget Responsibility: prior experience managing $500K -$1million budget
Fundraising: proven experience in fundraising
Experience: 5 years programmatic or supervisory experience in a resident camp setting
PHYSICAL AND/OR MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to think, analyze, organize and articulate ideas and strategies independently.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time while demonstrating physical stamina and agility to quickly reach a member/participant or situation to prevent harm.
- Auditory and verbal abilities to give, receive and follow general instructions to ensure the safety and well-being of all members/participants.
- Be able to work outside and be in a natural environment that requires sitting on the ground and being in the heat.
- Be able to lift 40 pounds.
- Ability to drive or have access to transportation.
JOB-SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, TALENTS
- Good judgment under pressure, with the ability to make timely and sound, informed decisions.
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow, with strong organizational, problem-solving and time management skills.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Communication skills to inform and educate staff and members/participants.
Certs/Licenses: CPR, AED, and First Aid