Greater Missoula Family YMCA
Independent Health Family YMCA
YMCA of the Iowa Mississippi Valley
The role of the Wellness Director is to create a fun, safe and healthy environment in the YMCA branch that ensures everyone feels welcome. The Wellness Director will serve as a dynamic member of the YMCA team by serving our communities in multiple ways; working with a team to create a branch environment and culture that embodies the Y’s mission of strengthening spirit, mind and body. The Wellness Director will help design and manage systems, programs and promotions related to healthy living. The Wellness Director will be a multi-function team player who thrives on connecting with people, problem solving, listening and creating.
1. Thinks, communicates and behaves as a cause-driven leader and role model for other staff and members when it comes to desired staff behaviors; promotes youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility in all job-related functions.
2. Creates a welcoming and safe environment by actively engaging with new and current members; in addition to modeling outstanding customer service to members, guests, and program participants.
3. Leads the member onboarding process as it relates to goal setting and achievement to maximize member usage and retention.
4. Collaborates with the CEO and his/her management team to ensure the safe and responsible operation of the Y including rotating responsibilities for overall facility supervision and program coverage. Actively participates in all applicable branch and association meetings, trainings, and special events.
a. Ensure smooth operation of the fitness center by maintaining the equipment in a clean, safe, and working order and a positive, comfortable atmosphere for all members. Follows all safety precautions as mandated by the state and the YMCA.
b. Ability to manage the Group Exercise classes and community schedule so that member needs are met, and labor costs are within established guidelines. Also ensures instructors and classes meet safety and group exercise best practices in a comfortable atmosphere. Ensures all Group Exercise classes have the goal of welcoming new participants and fostering a sense of community.
5. Ability to supervise and lead the Personal Training team to ensure sessions are safe and meet outcomes, innovation is integrated into the program for maximum revenue, and incentive programs are created and delivered for maximum member engagement and retention.
6. Screens, trains, and supervises the Group Exercise leaders, Personal Trainers, and Wellness/Fitness Specialists.
7. Leads and tracks continuous improvement efforts of all Association metrics as defined by the CEO or Association leadership.
8. Maintains documentation of significant situations during shift; communicates with CEO and/or program directors about shift.
9. Understands and follows all safety and cleaning procedures and actively participates in maintaining a safe environment for all.
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fundraising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
NCCA-Accredited certification in personal training (ACE, NASM, ACSM, or NSCA preferred), group exercise, or health coaching.
YMCA Team Leader certification; if not certified, must obtain certification within 12 months
CPR, First Aid, AED and O2 certifications must be obtained within 90 days.
Maintain all certifications through completion of applicable CEC’s to ensure they do not lapse at any time.