Under the direction of the Executive Director, and consistent with the Christian mission of the YMCA, the Associate Executive Director will be responsible for the management and growth of all revenue producing programs at Camp Harrison. This includes responsibility for Resident Camp, Family and Weekend programing, Conference and Retreats, Outdoor Education, and the development of new revenue programs. These operations and programs are to be consistent and in accordance with the provisions of the Association's goals and objectives.
- Four-year college degree in camping, education, recreation, or a related field, OR minimum 8 years of related experience in camp programming.
- A minimum of 6 years management experience within a successful resident camp/retreat center or related program with a high level of customer relationship skills.
- Minimum of three years of successful program development, management, and evaluation.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute short-term and long-term plans with a high degree of quality, effectiveness, and professionalism.
- Experience and training in all aspects of Camp Risk Management.
- Highly developed organizational skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and a commitment to developing, inspiring and motivating a staff team.
- Successful experience supervising, guiding, developing and coaching staff.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills in creating and sustaining a culture of trust and program excellence.
- Proven ability to demonstrate initiative, sound judgment and independent motivation and decision-making.
- Professional oral and written communication skills.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Computer skills: Excel, Word, and Outlook, as well as the ability to become proficient in Association-specific applications
- Ongoing professional development and relevant certifications.
- Ability to work in excess of a 40-hour week with irregular work hours.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
- Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time.
- Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency
- Lead programs in a manner that supports the Association camp programming model implementing the Christian mission into all camp programs.
- Guide and develop all full-time direct reports to deliver year-round programming with a team approach.
- Develop, implement, and manage operating plans to promote growth and overall quality experience.
- Coordinate all trainings and adhering to all quality, safety, and risk protocol.
- Oversee the promotion and recruitment for all programming.
- Supervise and delegate leadership in areas of safety, aquatics, shooting sports, and challenge course.
- Develop and control department budgets related to the position.
- Use data to analyze financial trends and forecast future financial progress for Camp.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and
perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes the initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to
another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an
openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well.