GENERAL FUNCTION: Under the direction of the Camp Branch Director, the Senior Program Director will be responsible for the overall management and development of year-round camp programs for all locations in accordance with all Greater Wichita YMCA policies, procedures and standards. The Senior Program Director will be accountable for all aspects, as assigned, for camp operations including fiscal management, financial development, staff management and licensing regulations. This position will require the Senior Program Director to live on-site at Camp Hiawatha. It is anticipated that an average work week will consist of 50 hours to accomplish the assigned duties.
The Senior Program Director is responsible for implementing policies and procedures that create the highest level of youth development and fun by leading and directing all camp operations in the following areas:
1. Assist in the recruitment of staff, hiring process, and training to serve all aspects of camp throughout the year.
2. Support a participant-focused culture among camp staff based on relationship building, active listening and service above self.
3. Hold camp staff accountable to providing a safe and fun environment at all camp locations.
4. Ensure that all association personnel policies and procedures are adhered to within the program sites.
5. Ensure effective dissemination/communication of important information to successfully support staff and the association.
1. Steward and maintain relationships with community partners, businesses, and schools to promote to assist in growing summer camp participation and year-round programs and rentals.
2. Assist with the development and implementation of new program components and year-round rental opportunities for all types of camps.
3. Maintain communication with contracted retreat groups and rental customers to provide service before and after scheduled events and to ensure timeliness of payments.
4. Assist in maintaining marketing database to keep track of new and repeating retreat groups for future business opportunities.
5. Manage the schedule of all camp programs, retreat groups and rental groups in order to maximize facility usage. Contract for all events and oversee contract compliance for each.
6. Ensure that the program participant’s experience is at the center of everything we do by supporting and maintaining an atmosphere that values diversity and inclusion and providing quality service to all camp guests and program participants.
7. Be visible to staff and program participants.
8. Facilitate program audits to ensure quality, safety, compliance, and customer satisfaction.
9. Ensure any licensing and accreditation standards are met per the KDHE guidelines.
1. Ensure all camp buildings and grounds are being maintained year-round – daily building inspections/walk-throughs, water testing, mowing, etc.
2. Collaborate with YMCA branches and community locations that hold YMCA camps for well maintained and safe spaces.
1. Accountable for assisting with annual budget development, monthly budget monitoring, and achievement of budget.
2. Implement strategies to grow program enrollment through successful, high-quality programs and great customer service.
3. Maintain and be thoroughly knowledgeable with systems of financial control including revenues, expenses and inventories as outlined in the Operational Manual.
Strong Community Campaign/Financial Development:
1. Engage, lead, and support staff to participate and accomplish their respective donor and volunteer recruitment goals.
2. Prospect new Strong Community Campaign donors, close the gap with front line staff, hold staff accountable to goal for program area.
3. Actively participate and attain goals for special events.
1. Demonstrate four-character values: caring, respect, honesty and responsibility.
2. Association goals and strategies are adhered to and effectively communicated to staff and volunteers.
3. Maintain complete familiarity with all risk management procedures and policies.
4. Monitor and manage systems, drills and training related to risk management and safety for participants and employees.
5. Adhere to all systems and procedures as outlined in the Association’s operational manual.
6. Participate in association-wide projects when needed.
7. All other duties as assigned.
EFFECT ON END RESULT: Leadership is provided that achieves camp goals with high levels of participation, satisfaction and retention, active and able volunteers and employees, and generous supporters.
1. Bachelor's Degree in related field or 10 years YMCA camp management experience required
2. Must have a minimum of 3 years management experience; hiring, firing, managing performance, and budget
3. Camp certifications preferred
- Commitment to the YMCA mission, vision and values
- Must attend New Employee Orientation within 30 days of hire
- Complete CPR/AED, First Aid, O2, and Listen First Workshop in accordance with Conditions of Employment
- Possess a clear and complete understanding of exercise science principles, and the ability to apply those principles in a practical wellness atmosphere
- Learn all emergency procedures and action plans for camp
- Understand and abide-by all policies and procedures as set forth by the association
- Work a schedule that reflects the needs of camp; including evenings and weekends
- Must be able to routinely perform the following physical activities; climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for extended periods of time, walk, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity to perform detailed tasks
- Must have ability to lead and delegate to others and communicate effectively; both orally and in writing
- Must possess problem solving, organizational and task management skills; ability to make independent and sound decisions in a rapidly changing environment
- Must be detail oriented and exhibit a high degree of accuracy and alertness
- Must demonstrate initiative in absence of supervision
- Must be able to relate to and work with diverse groups of people in a friendly and consistent manner
- Must work collaboratively as a team member as well as independently and lead by assigned goals, duties and deadlines
- Must possess ability to exercise high levels of discretion and confidentiality
- Must present a neat and professional appearance at all times