YMCA of Western North Carolina Inc.
YMCA of Grants Pass Oregon
Haverford Area YMCA
The Aquatics Director is responsible for the overall management and facilitation of all aquatics programs and activities at the YMCA of Van Wert County. The duties will include but are not limited to: Planning and facilitating all activities such as free swims, swim lessons, swim teams, private lessons, lap swims, rentals and more. Must be able to monitor and maintain all aquatics equipment and supplies with some assistance from our maintenance staff. You are responsible to inventory and order pool chemicals as well as administer as needed. Maintain your department’s budget to ensure the financial health of the Aquatics department. Train, schedule and manage all lifeguard and aquatics staff and volunteers. Maintain records and renew all certifications for the Director as well as lifeguards on staff. Assist in other areas of the Y facility, as needed. Salary based on Certifications and Experience.
1. Identify and meet the needs of the Aquatics Programs and Staff.
· Maintain/Renew certifications for the Aquatics Director and Lifeguards on staff
· Plan and facilitate all Aquatics programming.
· Hire, train, and manage all aquatic staff and volunteers.
· Plan and facilitate in-service trainings for lifeguard staff on a regular basis.
· Must possess knowledge on a wide range of aquatic activities and procedures.
2. Risk Management
Maintain all aquatic equipment and procedures.
Assume the role of first responder when available in emergencies.
Enforce and update all aquatic rules and procedures at all times.
Order and maintain all chemicals needed for pool safety and cleanliness.
Identify and correct all areas of risk management for the safety of all swimmers.
3. Fulfill staff administrative roles.
· Ensure aquatics staff are following all written and established policies and procedures
· Maintain all records for pool chemicals, staff certs, swim lesson participants, and more
· Schedule all aquatic staff as needed.
· Attend all mandatory staff meetings and trainings required to maintain your certifications and position.
· Responsible for maintaining your department’s budget and expenses.
· Keep records of all equipment maintenance and repairs
· Assist in other programs through the Y, as needed.
1. At least 21 years of age with a high school diploma or equivalent.
2. 3-5 years of experience in the Aquatics field, YMCA aquatics preferable.
3. Management experience a plus
4. Organizational skills to plan, schedule, and facilitate programs.
5. Ability to accept guidance and supervision.
6. Ability to relate to one’s peer group.
7. Ability to give supervision and guidance to staff and volunteers
8. Ability to plan programs and carry them out.
9. Ability to teach leadership skills.
10. Ability to teach and role model the Core Values of the YMCA and use of 21st century life skills.
11. Good character and ability to adapt to an aquatics setting; enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and self-control.
12. Red Cross Lifeguard, First aid, and CPR certification required
13. Lifeguard Trainer Certification (LGI) preferred
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to apply common sense understanding in order to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms, swim and dive, and swim while supporting up to 300 pounds. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, and fumes or airborne particles.
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Cultivates trust in others through direct and honest interactions. Interacts in a candid and straightforward manner. Shows a genuine concern for the needs, feelings, and well-being of others, even under stress. Acts with integrity and credibility in all situations. Demonstrates a desire to serve others. Responds to requests, inquiries, concerns and complaints in a timely and appropriate fashion to assure that members feel valued. Anticipates and takes actions to meet the needs of members and community. Knows the name and supports the dream of every child in his or her program.
Collaboration: Actively leads YMCA inclusion and diversity activities, strategies, and initiatives. Encourages everyone to work well with each other, regardless of dimensions of diversity. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others. Displays ease and comfort with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perspectives.
Operational Effectiveness: Develops, plans, and manages best practices through engagement of team. Demonstrates exceptional organizing skills to effectively prioritize project tasks. Clarifies performance goals and expectations; plans and organizes work responsibilities while actively participating in developing project plans and completing tasks as assigned.
Personal Growth: Makes critical decisions based on sound reasoning and factual information. Consistently makes critical and timely decisions at difficult times and in challenging situations. Manages emotions appropriately and avoids becoming defensive if challenged or asserting inappropriate control when under pressure. Approaches others and addresses sensitive issues, inappropriate behavior, or performance concerns in a non-threatening manner.
Red Cross Lifeguard Certification
Red Cross LGI (Must get within the first 3 months of employment
First Aid and CPR Certification