GENERAL FUNCTION:Under the guidance of the President/CEO, the Executive Director of Planned Giving will be responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive planned giving program for the YMCA Foundation of Wichita. This includes developing and maintaining relationships with potential donors, educating them about modes of planned giving, and working to create and execute planned giving agreements. This position will work closely with annual and capital philanthropic efforts to ensure planned giving is integrated into the association’s overall fundraising strategy.
Strategic Leadership/Program Planning & Management:
- Responsible for effectively communicating the mission, vision and values of the Wichita YMCA.
- Developing, implementing and leading the association’s planned giving strategy, including identifying and cultivating major donors, developing planned giving proposals, and closing gifts.
- Responsible for working with the CEO and Board of Directors to ensure that the planned giving program is aligned with the association’s overall fundraising and strategic goals.
- Building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders, including donors, financial advisors, and estate planning attorneys.
- Responsible for representing the organization at planned giving conferences and events.
- Tracking and reporting on the performance of planned giving program.
- In conjunction with the CEO and Board of Directors, establishing the funding priorities and goals for the planned giving program.
- Staying abreast of philanthropic, economic, social, and educational trends related to fundraising; ensuring stakeholders are informed of changes in legislation and other trends and initiatives that might impact the association’s fundraising efforts.
- Ensuring the Y’s stewardship of major donors makes supporting the association a personally fulfilling experience; conveying to donors that the association and its leaders care deeply about its supporters and appreciate what they have done for the Y by demonstrating the impact of their support has on the community.
- Leveraging use of empirical and relevant data to inform decisions and define efficiencies.
EFFECT ON END RESULT: Generate resources for the YMCA Foundation of Wichita’s program fund to match capital reserves and ensure the YMCA will continue to provide access For All to our transformational programs regardless of income.
- Ideal candidate will have local knowledge and cache in the community and a relationship or affinity to the YMCA
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, non-profit management or a related field
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation preferred
- Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible experience in developing or implementing planned giving programs with oversight in performance/relationship driven metrics and accountability
- Demonstrated ability to create donor strategies tied to a broader institutional vision, in alignment with the strategic plan of an association
- Deep understanding and appreciation for the philanthropic process and individual giving behaviors combined with direct solicitation experience
- Proven record of significant personal success in donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, as evidenced through professional references and reputation
- Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills to effectively build trust and motivate and inspire others
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of gift acceptance practices
- Must have excellent oral written skills and ability to communicate with a wide variety of constituents including high-profile leaders
- Commitment to the YMCA mission, vision and values
- Must attend New Employee Orientation within 30 days of hire
- Understand and abide by all policies and procedures as set forth by the association
- Work a schedule that reflects the needs of the association; including evenings and weekends
- Must be able to travel when necessary
- Must be able to routinely perform the following physical activities with or without accommodation; sit and/or stand for extended periods of time, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity to perform detailed tasks
- Must have ability to lead and delegate to others and communicate effectively; both orally and in writing
- Must possess problem solving, organizational and task management skills; ability to make independent and sound decisions in a rapidly changing environment
- Must be detail oriented and exhibit a high degree of accuracy and alertness
- Must demonstrate initiative in absence of supervision
- Must be able to relate to and work with diverse groups of people in a friendly and consistent manner
- Must work collaboratively as a team member as well as independently and lead by assigned goals, duties and deadlines
- Must possess ability to exercise high levels of discretion and confidentiality
- Must present a neat and professional appearance at all times