Let the next step in your career be a footprint in the sands of sunny Tampa Bay, Florida.
The Early Head Start Mentor/Coach leads and/or assists in the development and updates of classroom policies & procedures for instructional outcomes, curriculum implementation, child assessment and cultural and linguistic responsiveness. The Mentor/Coach provides on-site coaching for Early Head Start Family Child Care providers. Conducts Family Child Care Home observations using evidenced-based tools such as Practice Base Coaching, Creative Curriculum, and Desired Results for Children and Families (DRDP and CLASS). Demonstrates lessons and provides feedback and overall support and follow-up to identified Family Child Care providers on a regular basis; provides the direction needed to successfully teach and implement the assigned curriculum and practices which promote high quality learning and school readiness within established guidelines and standards.
Education/ Experience Required:
- BA/BS in youth-related field (Early Childhood Education, or a related field)
- Minimum of two or more years of experience in Early Childhood Education programs with at least two years of experience teaching children 0-3 years preferred.
- Experience working with Family Child Care providers and/or as an owner of a Family Child Care Home preferred.
- Ability to quickly build rapport and develop effective relationships with Family Child Care providers, program staff, families and others to achieve goals.
- Consistently self-driven and goal-oriented with the ability to set effective team and individual goals and take ownership for results.
- Ability to plan, implement and coordinate mentoring activities and procedures designed to ensure compliance with established standards.
- Ability to understand, adapt to, and interact with diverse people, teams, perspectives and cultures.
- Proficient in using email, Internet, and other PC-based applications (e.g. Microsoft Office, customer service/tracking applications) with the ability to learn and adapt to new technology.
- Ability to prioritize and mange workload and deadlines
- Ability to handle stressful and sensitive situations in a professional manner
- Fully Bilingual (English/Spanish) required
Coaching and Mentoring
- Provides mentoring support to Early Head Start Family Child Care providers in providing YMCA/EHS children and families with warm and nurturing learning environments that offer varied culturally respectful experiences that support individual, social, intellectual, physical, and emotional development.
- Supports Family Child Care providers as needed in curricula implementation, individualization, screening, and child assessment.
- In coordination with the Education Specialist, develops a comprehensive Family Child Care provider mentoring plan; plans will be reviewed by the Education Specialist and Director.
- Supports teacher and school readiness goals, objectives, and learning styles; analyzes the nature, extent and duration of identified training needs; provides written and verbal feedback on general/specific Family Child Care provider job competencies in the area of education services; In coordination with Education Specialist coordinates scheduling of and may conduct training activities.
Evaluation and Assessment
- Participates in site visits, classrooms, observations, and work groups to assess program needs and planning strategies for system/process improvement and/or development of early childhood education, disabilities, and mental health.
- In coordination with the Education Specialist, monitors and evaluates MyTeachingStrategiesGOLD for each Family Child Care Home provider for accurate assessment of children.
- In coordination with the Education Specialist, monitors the Family Child Care provider's progress and child outcomes based on school readiness goals.
- Provides input and recommendations on Family Child Care provider's performance to Education Specialist and Director.
Communication and Partnership
- Maintains a cooperative attitude of working together with the Family Child Care providers, Education Specialist, volunteers, parents and program staff.
- Maintains a positive, calm attitude and a soft voice and encourages this attitude and voice in others.
- Shares information with Family Child Care providers and substitutes related to the YMCA/EHS procedures.
- Completes and submit monthly mentoring and coaching reports to the Director.
- Maintains strict confidentiality with respect to EHS children, families, Family Child Care providers and staff in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Maintains clear and effective communication with the program staff.
Misc. Job Responsibilities
- Attends regular meetings, trainings and appropriate professional developmental activities.