Under the direction of the Executive Director Camp Minikani and in accordance with the nature and policies of Camp Minikani and the YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee, the Summer Camp Director will be responsible for all summer camp program activities including: hiring, leadership training program, day-to-day summer operations, recruitment of scholarship campers and other duties as assigned by Executive Director.
1. Must be at least 21 years of age.
2. Undergraduate four year degree.
3. Possess the ability to set and achieve goals in program development, administer programs, hire and supervise staff.
4. A minimum of 3 seasons of resident camp experience is required.
5. Demonstrated leadership experience in managing a variety of programs, motivational skills and the ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
6. Exhibit a sincere interest in children, comprehend their needs and place them and the summer camp ahead of personal desires
7. Current certification in CPR Pro and First Aid is required (willing to train on arrival).
8. Current certification in Lifeguarding is preferred, but not required.
9. Valid Wisconsin Driver’s License is required.
1. Hire, onboard, train, manage and evaluate camp Unit Directors, Summer Ad Staff, Counseling Staff and LT Directors giving them direction, resources and leadership.
2. Oversee all skill/program specialists and their areas ensuring safety, quality instruction and fun. Ensure all programs follow established guidelines, including federal, state and local regulations as well as ACA standards.
3. Practice strong fiscal stewardship through the development and monitoring of an approved annual budget with recommended adjustments; assist with the management responsibility for overall fiscal management of the assigned service areas including variance reporting, forecasting/development and execution of plans to remain within budget.
4. Ensure the summer camp program and the Minicamp program are operating in accordance with the American Camp Association standards and Wisconsin Department of Early Care and Education rules and regulations for Child Care including but not limited to staff patterns, ratios, equipment needs, program environment, surveys and records through sound operational practices.
5. Ensure program equipment is maintained and in good working condition.
6. Coordinate, plan, and implement all LT weekend events for the current year.
7. Maintain program equipment inventories and highlight equipment needs that can be purchased during the non-summer season. Check out equipment to staff as needed.
8. Plan and implement the summer staff training as well as weekly Staff Meetings and implement age-appropriate curriculum and activities that are keeping with all association and YMCA of the USA guidelines.
9. Plan and implement the Administrative Staff Training.
10. Maintain summer camp programs that meet the emotional, physical, intellectual and social needs of individual children through age-appropriate key experiences including safety and risk reduction.
11. Ensure all camp programs begin on time and end on time.
12. Serve as a member of the Administrative Staff team in planning, organizing and conducting all-camp programs and administrative duties such as All-Camp Security and First Responder.
13. Assist Ad Staff and Counselors with the recognition of camper needs and be prepared to support or follow through on their efforts.
14. Provide open communications with parents regarding welfare of campers.
15. Required to live on site from June 1 – August 18th each summer.
16. Identify, minimize and eliminate, where possible, any risks that could cause accidents. Interpret safety and health standards to program specialists and follow through with their compliance.
17. Uphold and exemplify the principles of the YMCA.
18. Perform all other duties as deemed appropriate by Supervisor.
19. Employees are held accountable for all duties of the job.
20. Responsible for strict adherence to all branch/departmental policies and procedures related to safety and conduct rules and other regulations.
21. Manage day-to-day operations (i.e.; announcements are made, schedules are kept, events planned, etc.)
22. Serve as a resource for Unit Directors in implementing Unit Activity Days.
23. Be committed to the YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee’s Child Abuse/Neglect Prevention efforts as a mandatory reporter.
24. All other duties as assigned.