The Assistant Controller will be a hands-on leader, collaborating with the CFO and the Controller to plan and direct accounting operations.
The Assistant Controller will be a hands-on leader, collaborating with the CFO and the Controller to plan and direct the accounting & finance operations of the Association and will be responsible for creating, implementing, and maintaining effective financial controls. This position will report to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
- Lead internal controls of transaction-processing operations, related policies, and procedures and develop action plans relative to internal control needs.
- Ensure compliance with current legislation and upcoming accounting standards (e.g., lease accounting).
- Assist the Controller to maintain Chart of Accounts compliant with GAAP, State and Federal regulations to ensure accurate accounting records.
- Assist the Controller to complete the process of month-end journal entries and closing of monthly statements.
- Partner with the HR department to ensure effective posting of Ceridian Payroll transactions.
- Identify process improvement opportunities and initiate changes to streamline accounting close (e.g., audit and automation within NetSuite).
- Develop and implement new procedures based on changes in the Association's needs.
- Assist in preparation of financial reports and schedules.
- Prepare supporting monthly reports that include reconciliation of cash, accounts receivable, investments, accounts payable and payroll.
- Prepare all supporting schedules for the annual audit.
- Review and reconcile all accounts maintaining documentation and controls.
- Assist in completing all compliance and tax filings (e.g., 990, 5500, Single Audit).
Fixed Asset Management Functions:
- Provide analysis to support the capital budgeting process and related controls.
- Perform reviews of assets and records to ensure accuracy of records.
- Monitor procedures to ensure timely updates for asset disposals and transfers.
Other Essential Functions:
- Lead department staff and ensure results by planning, coaching, monitoring, and appraising tactics.
- Adhere to the organization’s security guidelines and ensures the appropriate handling of sensitive information.
- Complete special projects specific to the function of the department or as needed for the department as directed by the CFO.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of position expectations.