West Suburban YMCA
YMCA of Greater Charlotte
New Canaan Community YMCA
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) at the YMCA of South Palm Beach County serves on the CEO’s senior leadership team; oversees and manages financial matters, investments and information systems; and provides strategic direction and leadership for YMCA business operations and initiatives. The incumbent is accountable to ensure compliance with Association policy, generally accepted accounting practices, and appropriate laws and ethics as it relates to accounting, tax exemptions, insurance, claims, and risk management, equipment leasing, purchasing, and electronic data processing. The CFO also positions the Y as a community convener and collaborator to address critical social issues. The CFO works closely with the CEO to develop and implement financial strategies that support the organization’s mission and goals.
Our YMCA Association is located in beautiful Boca Raton, FL. Looking for a laid-back coastal lifestyle or living it up in a dynamic downtown? Boca Raton offers both! Beautiful beaches, great golfing year-round, growing job market, easy to get around, and a health and wellness culture are a few of the reasons for living in Boca Raton, FL!
The YMCA of South Palm Beach County provides a progressive work environment with great benefits for full-time employees. Benefits include:
· FREE YMCA Membership nationwide!
· 67% discount on select Y programs
· Vacation time - 10 days per calendar year, based on an accrual system
· Sick/personal time - 7 days per calendar year, based on an accrual system
· Retirement (12% of gross salary after two consecutive years of 1,000 hours per year)
· Medical and Dental Insurance
· Group Term life insurance including LTD and AD&D (100% company sponsored for employee only)
· Flexible and Supportive work environment
· Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or equivalent
· YMCA Organizational Leader certification preferred.
· Eight or more years of substantive experience in accounting and fiscal management.
· Knowledge and understanding of general business matters required including Accounting/Auditing, Budget Development/Management, Capital Structure Management, Cash Management, Management Information Systems, Cost Analysis/Controls, Financial Forecasting and Reporting, Investment Management, Long and Short-term Financing, Staff Development and Human Resources, Insurance/Risk Management
· Must possess excellent relationship-building, supervision, and negotiation skills
· Ability to establish effective working relationships critical in order to work with people in all levels of the Association.
· Must employ discretion due to confidential and sensitive nature of finance, payroll and human resource data
· Must possess strong computer skills
· Must have excellent interpersonal, verbal and public presentation communication skills
· Must have organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
· Previous experience with voluntary/nonprofit organizations preferred.
1. Monitors monthly financial operations, prepares analysis and reports, and gives guidance to executive and operating staff. Works closely with operations staff on issues that affect financial outcome. Secures and allocates program or project resources so that strategic objectives can be achieved. Prepares specific recommendations.
2. Reviews, updates, and/or develops internal control systems for the YMCA and oversees internal
audits which check for compliance on a variety of policies and standards. Provides recommendations for improvement.
3. Manages the staff and oversees the operations of the Accounting/Finance, Information Systems, Human Resources and Risk Management, and other departments as assigned.
4. Oversees and certifies the annual audit and meets periodically with the outside auditors to maintain communications and keep them informed of changes in the YMCA. Ensures that current accounting standards and legal requirements are met.
5. Actively engages the board in challenging conversations and decision making to advance the Y's impact. Works directly with assigned committee(s) of the board to build volunteer relationships, develop policies, monitor their implementation and meet the related needs of the board.
6. Anticipates trends and their implications on the future of the organization.
7. Develops strategic indicators for tracking strategic plan objectives. Develops current business models and has the ability to provide operational improvements through multi-year budgets, forecasts and models. Helps strategize on how association dollars are utilized.
8. Oversees the development of the annual operating budget, including all branch budgets. Guides the organization to make tough choices about what to stop, start, and continue. Works closely with operations staff to ensure that branch budgets are well-planned, realistic, and prepared in a timely manner.
9. Manages tax-exempt bond transactions and files all necessary reports. Establishes, maintains and/or monitors all banking and financing relationships.
10. Prepares annual financial reporting required by the YMCA of the USA, United Way, and other outside reporting agencies.
11. Creates and maintains good working relationships with auditors, bankers, investment counselors, attorneys and other professional advisors.
12. Negotiates vendor contracts and other agreements.
13. As needed, introduces new controls, policies and procedures to mitigate risk.
14. Oversees Insurance procurement and claim processing essential of the role of Risk Management.
15. Oversees all financial aspects of the organization, including financial planning, budgeting, forecasting, and financial analysis.
16. Represents the YMCA with key community organizations and events as required.
17. Carries out other duties as assigned by the CEO.