Since 1945, YMCA Camp Shaver has been providing quality, fun & educational programs for the youth of New Mexico and the Southwest. Located in the Beautiful Jemez Mountains of New Mexico, Camp Shaver provides the youth of today a safe, fun, and awe-inspiring setting to develop self-esteem, personal character, learn teamwork, gain a sense of community, and develop an appreciation and respect for the environment.
Working in conjunction with, and under the supervision of the Senior Executive Director, this position is responsible for all aspects of the overnight/residence camping operations for the YMCA of Central New Mexico. Camp Shaver is a small camping operation with approximately twenty buildings/structures, a rustic setting, high and low elements ropes course, capacity for eighty campers, and tremendous potential for providing the experience of a lifetime! The camp is located on twenty-seven acres owned by the YMCA, plus additional land leased from the National Forest. The camp is located near the town of Jemez Springs, and about 1.5 hours from downtown Albuquerque.
Due to the short camping season for this operation, this position will also serve as part of the program staff serving members within our two facilities in Albuquerque, NM, supporting After School Care programs among other duties. Because most buildings in the camp are not winterized, camp’s shoulder-season normally operates in April, May, September, and October. During the summer camp season, the expectation for the individual serving in this position is to stay at the camp property, where housing will be provided. During the off-season, this position will operate within the Albuquerque metro area where housing becomes a personal responsibility.
In addition, this position is a member of the Association’s Management Staff team. The Director of Camping Services also works in conjunction with an active and engaged volunteer Camp Advisory Board.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent experience required.
- 3 years of experience in a leadership role within a residential camp setting preferred.
- Vision and commitment to delivering quality overnight camp programming.
- Successful proven track record in the area of overnight camping operations.
- Experience in organizing, planning, and delivering overnight camp activities.
- Experience working with volunteer boards preferred.
- Ability to develop positive and productive working relationships with staff, campers, families, alumni, volunteers, and YMCA members.
- Capacity to work with volunteer Advisory Board in fund development efforts.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Capacity to deal with emergencies and ever-changing environments effectively.
- Knowledge of ACA accreditation process and accreditation maintenance.
- CPR/AED and First Aid Certification.
- Valid government issued driver's license and good driving record.
- Must meet Association's requirements regarding criminal background checks and complete required trainings as per Association's guidelines.
- Plans, manages, directs, and coordinates all aspects of the summer overnight camping program, as well as retreats and groups during camp's shoulder season.
- Carries out the strategic and operational plans of camping operations.
- Responsible for implementing safety measurements within all camping activities.
- During the off-season, serves as part of the program team supporting Out of School Time programs and other youth and family programs.
- Recruits, hires, trains and evaluates camp staff. Works with Human Resources department to maintain proper records.
- Develops and manages operational budget for Camp Shaver and camping operations.
- Assures compliance with state and local regulatory agencies, as well as overnight camping certifications.
- In conjunction with the association's Building and Maintenance Director, oversees the proper maintenance and upkeep of all camping facilities and equipment.
- Works with volunteer Board of Advisors to raise the necessary funds to provide camp program scholarships.
- Maintains and develops meaningful, purposeful, and strategic relationships with camp alumni.
- Maintains organized camping operations records.
- Assist with program committee meetings.
- Develops and organizes camp's marketing efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Operational Effectiveness
- Developing Others
- Personal Growth