You are a valued member of our association leadership team, providing leadership of accounting systems, financial analysis & more.
The Director of Finance is a member of the Association leadership team, providing leadership of accounting systems, financial analysis, internal controls management, annual external audit, and contractual arrangements.
Under the direction of the President and CEO, the Director of Finance directs financial procedures and reporting for the YMCA of Southern Maine in accordance with Our Mission, Our Promise, and Strategic Plan, ensuring the highest level of quality and accuracy.
We’re looking for someone with:
- Three or more years of professional leadership experience in financial management (non-profit experience preferred).
- A bachelor’s degree in a financial, business administration or a related field.
- Ability to build genuine, respectful relationships and quickly establish credibility with people from all socio-economic segments and levels of leadership, and all dimensions of diversity.
- Ability to read and understand complex documents, including federal and state regulations, contracts and financial reports, and to apply principles of logical or financial thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems; ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables; capacity to solve practical problems and design and implement work processes.
- Ability to effectively present information verbally and in writing.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to travel locally.
- A criminal background check is required and may include fingerprinting through the Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS), prior to hire.
- The ideal candidate must be able to complete all physical requirements of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Operational Effectiveness: Possesses strong attention to detail, organization and critical thinking skills. Oversee and maintain a structure to achieve objectives, demonstrating and sustaining the Y’s nonprofit operational model. Ensures all accounting procedures are in accordance with GAAP. Ensures monthly financial reports are delivered with the highest level of accuracy and timeliness. Manages cash flow of YMCA, including collections and receivables. Ensures financial records are properly maintained and financial internal controls are consistently followed. Represents organization in financial audits.
- Staffing Oversight: Oversees the hiring, training, accountability, development and supervision of the Finance team. Ensures day-to-day financial processes are performed accurately and in a timely manner, including, but not limited to, accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger review, cash flow and more.
- Collaboration: Advocates for inclusion and diversity. Communicates to engage and inspire people within and outside the YMCA. Maintains ongoing working relationships with representatives of the organization’s banking services, auditors, and other finance-related partnerships.
- Mission Advancement: Ensures the Y’s mission, values, vision, and strategies are prioritized in their work and that work adheres to all Y Brand guidelines.
- Inclusion - Honor the YMCA of Southern Maine’s Promise Statement. Models a commitment to equity and inclusion. Creates a safe environment that helps all feel welcome and respected. Promotes feelings of mutual respect, acceptance, and appreciation. Supports people with unique experiences or points of view to share their perspectives.
- Staffing Administration – Ensure accurate timecards, consistent documentation, and maintenance of training records, and certifications.
- Leadership – Is a collaborative, engaged, and active participant on the Association Leadership team, including communicating in an effective and timely manner and making sound decisions. This includes, but is not limited to, actively supporting the annual campaign, fundraising, special events, Association initiatives and program teams.
- Personal Growth – Maintains a high degree of emotional maturity and interpersonal skills and is committed to personal growth and skill acquisition.
- Perform other duties as assigned.