YMCA of Mankato
Tandy Family YMCA
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Aquatics Director at the Bath Area Family YMCA develops, organizes and implements high-quality, member-focused YMCA aquatic programs.
1. Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent.
2. One to two years related experience preferred; for example, as an aquatics coordinator or supervisor.
3. Minimum age of 21.
4. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
1. Directs and supervises program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives. Establishes new program activities and expands program within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
2. Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs personnel and volunteers as needed. Subbing all roles if available. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
3. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
4. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete; stored in an easy-to-reach location.
5. Monitors daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations.
6. Conducts and ensures proper maintenance of pools. Secures and schedules pool facilities. Maintains accurate records of pool chemical levels and facility maintenance.
7. Conducts lifeguarding, swim instruction, First Aid and CPR trainings.
8. Creates and schedules swim classes, water fitness classes, and swim team practices and meets.
9. Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
10. Develops and submits timely budgets, including staying within the parameters of the approved calendar year budget. Also, the accurate submission of forecasts and reforecast as required.
11. Assists in YMCA fundraising activities and special events.
12. Models relationship-building skills (including ListenFirst) in all interactions.
13. Respond to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
14. Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in program.
15. Attend meetings and work with committees including program committees and things pertaining to aquatics.
16. Attends weekly ESLT meetings and weekly direct report meetings to include full participation, preparation, and engagement during scheduled meetings.
17. Participates in all Director on Duty assignments to support the building and all staff.
18. Develop goals and objectives for all full-time and part-time staff that are measurable and specific that align with the board-approved strategic plan.
19. Adhere to all risk management and safety policies, reporting any inconsistencies.
20. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor, COO or CEO.
21. Oversee the full time Head Lifeguard and part time Swim Lesson Coordinator.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. Should hold current Lifeguard and First-Aid/CPR certifications. YMCA swim lesson certification preferred or obtained within 90 days of hire.
2. Completion of YMCA program-specific trainer certifications: swim lessons, lifeguard, CPR/ First Aid and any other assigned.
3. CPO certification preferred or obtained within 90 days of hire.