The Director of Food Service is responsible for smooth and efficient general management and food service functions and outlets including planning, purchasing, preparation, serving, clean-up and managing a diverse staff. The Director of Food Service is instrumental in creating an inclusive camp community while meeting high standards of sanitation and safety for all food services provided. The director is responsible for compliance with state and county health regulations.
Food & kitchen equipment knowledge.
Ability to problem-solve and be flexible.
Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
Ability to safely use cleaning equipment & supplies.
Ability to understand & follow safety procedures.
Guest-oriented and service-minded.
Ability to control costs & meet financial targets.
Ability to work in fast-paced environment.
Strong organizational skills.
Time management skills.
On feet for long periods of time.
Verbal and written communication skills.
Team player with ability to empathetically listen and communicate for understanding
5 years of equivalent experience or a bachelor's degree in Food Management, Dietetics, Hotel andRestaurant Management is required.
ServSafe Certification Food Handler/Manager (or ability to obtain within 30 days of employment)
- Serve as primary chef for all meals provided by camp kitchen.
- Plan the weekly menu with dietary considerations of campers and team members, budgetary guidelines, variety, and nutrition.
- Willingness to plan cohesive and inclusive menus for campers and staff who are vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, lactose intolerant and other types of restrictions.
- Prepares food orders based on current food inventory and menu planning working within financial targets.
- Hire, train and supervise a competent staff. Recommend training, promotions, and salary adjustments for Food Service personnel. Set performance standards and evaluate performance.
- Schedule, assign, and coordinate work maximizing staff strengths and working within payroll guidelines and budgets.
- Purchase all food and supplies necessary for food service operations. Negotiate bulk purchases of food and supplies with vendors.
- Plan meals and deliveries to ensure the best utilization of the facility and staff to meet customer needs.
- Set up and maintain an inventory, and quality control system to ensure delicious and nutritious meals for guests and staff.
- Track expenditures to operate within an approved budget.
- Maintain sanitation and safety standards including proper food storage and handling by all team members equipment according to local and state laws.
- Maintain cookware and equipment according to local and state laws.
- Notify direct report of all concerns related to facility safety and follow emergency procedures correctly.
- Lead with the YMCA core values – Caring, Honestly, Respect, & Responsibility
- Other daily tasks as assigned.
Critical Thinking & Decision Making