Let the next steps in your career be footprints in the sands of sunny Tampa, Florida.
Under the direction of the Senior Program Director, the Head Gymnastics Coach will be responsible for providing leadership, instruction, and motivation for participants in the Gymnastics classes both recreational and competitive. The head Gymnastic coach will be responsible for the recruitment and development of gymnasts participating with the Tampa YMCA gymnastics. The Head Gymnastics Coach is responsible for training gymnastic skills to all program participants of various ages, levels and experience. The coach will also create a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals and promotes safety in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. The position requires schedule flexibility and will include nights and weekends.
Education/ Experience Required:
- USAG Certified Member
- Floor routine choreography experience preferred.
- Knowledge of code of Points/Routine Construction required.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in youth gymnastics instruction/coaching, spotting, equipment and technique. Extensive gymnastics or dance background, leadership experience, and a passion for teaching. 1-2 years of experience in YMCA programs, philosophies and objectives preferred.
- Strong communicator with the ability to communicate to participants in a timely manner, ensuring that participants are well informed of important program information.
- Prior high-level (levels 6-10 & Excel) gymnast or coaching experience preferred.
- Excellent relationship building skills, communication, organization and the ability to work within specific time constraints.
Program Quality and Growth
- Assists in the planning, preparation and implementation of appropriate age and level based lesson plans.
- Supports instructors/coaches to ensure gymnastic curriculum is applied and up to date.
- Supports the instructors’ schedules for recreational classes and ensures rosters are printed and accurate.
- In partnership with the Senior Program Director, supports the strategic plan initiatives, best practices and the elevation of the recreational gymnastics and competitive team as “signature programs” for the Tampa YMCA.
- Provides guidance and leadership for recreational instructor team and competitive Team coaches.
- Instructs and educates participants on general gymnastics information and the use of correct forms. Inspects, cleans, and sets up/puts away all equipment prior/post each class.
- Implements all safety precautions and emergency procedures when necessary.
- Enforces all YMCA and Gymnastics facility policies, rules and regulations.
- Responsible for supervision and safety in spotting all participants.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
- Responsible for effective communication with the parents of the gymnasts.
- Assures that lessons include proper warm-up, training and cool-down segments.
- Greets and interacts with members as needed before and after class, providing guidance, encouragement and motivation to every participant.
- Completes all required records and reports including attendance sheets, progression cards, evaluations and new gymnast orientation.
- Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries in timely manner.
- Assists in training and developing new personnel as needed.
- Attends all scheduled staff meetings and trainings.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Supports the planning and delivery of quality gymnastics summer, holiday and school break camps.
Safety and Risk Management
- Ensures all Tampa Y standards and best practices are implemented and followed. Applies YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to best practices, emergency procedures, medical and disciplinary situations and child abuse prevention.
- Ensures all gymnastics staff members are properly trained and prepared for emergency situations. This includes implementing and following training requirements in addition to ensuring proper reporting of all incidents/accidents according to risk management procedures.
- Ensures proper records, including staff member certifications, staff member meetings and trainings, and daily logs used for policy and procedure review.
- Schedules gymnastics staff members in accordance to program needs and ensures all safety and program ratios are followed.
- Monitors daily gymnastics center operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health & safety regulation
- Conducts and ensures proper maintenance of equipment.
- Ensures staff at all levels within the program are safely spotting and lifting gymnasts.
- Supervises gymnasts before, during and after classes.
- In the absence of the Director, serves as Tampa YMCA representative at gymnastics meets and competitions and supervises logistics of staff members and gymnasts at gymnastics meets and competitions.
- Assists the Director with the creation and logistics of coach and instructor staff schedules.