Responsible for all aspects of a comprehensive financial development program to help ensure the advancement of the mission of the Y.
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading non-profit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. This position is responsible for all aspects of a comprehensive financial development program to help ensure the advancement of the mission of the Y. The position also ensures that the organization’s commitment to social responsibility is at the center of all programs, activities, and decisions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and 5-7 years of successful experience in financial development, fundraising, annual campaigns, capital campaigns and special events or equivalent education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to establish, develop, and maintain meaningful and authentic relationships with donor prospects, donors, board members and other constituents to grow relationships and contributions to the Y.
- Demonstrated success in the solicitation of annual and major gifts and knowledge of planned giving strategies and estate planning.
- Experience and demonstrated ability to work effectively with a non-profit Board of Directors, external consultants, and volunteers.
- Managerial experience and a willingness to establish and work in a team-centric environment.
- Ability to communicate professionally and persuasively, both orally and in writing, to convey credibility and expertise in advising donors on confidential and sometimes complex financial matters.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically to successfully mediate and negotiate with individuals and groups.
- Strong knowledge of fundraising software, preferably eTAP.
- Strong focus on critical thinking and problem solving.
- Ability to apply logic, intuition, and sound judgment to analyze information to identify greatest opportunities.
- Systematically cultivate long term, collaborative, strategic relationships with selected individuals and organizations.
- Oversee all aspects of fundraising and charitable/philanthropic activities at the Y and its programs:
- The annual campaign including donor cultivation strategies, initial contact, solicitations, and stewardship in an appropriate and timely manner. Ensure systems exist to accurately manage donor/prospect information, gift processing, accounting, management, data and reporting systems.
- Special campaigns for the Y or its constituent programs.
- The Y’s planned giving program including cultivating and stewarding bequests, life income gifts and participation in the legacy society.
- Camp Abnaki’s fundraising, in collaboration with the Camp Director.
- Supervise Development staff to include overseeing work performance, growth and support, and training.
- Manage and facilitate relationships with donors and corporations including identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major gift prospects to ensure sustainable philanthropic support..
- Develop goals, plans and systems needed to carry out fundraising function. Establish and monitor the development department’s budget and resources.
- Provide management support to the professional staff in Development, Leadership Team, and the Board of Directors to advance strategies and approaches to diversify the base of support, to generate increasing levels of giving and to establish a philanthropic culture.
- Oversee the execution of effective annual grants, foundation, and sponsorship programs.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to organizations, business groups and boards and organize or participate in community initiatives to promote the Y brand.
- Partner with the Communications staff to prepare donor materials and communications to ensure consistency with Y brand and new nationwide campaign.
- Serve as the primary staff liaison working with any volunteer groups such as a Development Committee and other fundraising committees throughout the year, assisting volunteers and staff in meeting goals and objectives.
- In close coordination with the CEO and Leadership Team, ensure that the Y remains focused on its mission of social service so that the commitment to “Social Responsibility” remains central to all the organization does.
- Maintain a positive work environment.
- Demonstrate the Y Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
- Participate in other projects, as assigned.
Cause-Driven Leadership Competencies
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with
a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships
to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors, communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance, and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change, models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.