The Senior Director of Healthy Living’s primary responsibility is to drive a transformative and engaging experience in health in wellness at their home branch. In addition, the Senior Healthy Living Director will supervise, coach and provide support to the Membership Director and Youth Sports Coordinator to drive a transformative and engaging experience. The Senior Healthy Living Director will have an explicit focus on engaging with members through/but not limited to the fitness centers, group exercise, personal training and/or community and specialty health classes. This position, under the direction of the Executive Director, will require hiring, supervision and performance evaluation of group exercise, personal trainers, specialty health instructors and fitness floor staff. This position will be a key member of the Healthy Living Coalition and contributes to the overall direction and strategy of the Healthy Living portfolio of programs and offerings. In addition, prepping for experiences with members, creating innovative approaches to how we serve members, developing new programs, resolving member issues and holding staff accountable to creating a great Y experience.
In accordance with the policies, by-laws, and constitution of the YMCA (Young Men s Christian Association) of Greater Boston, the Senior Health and Wellness Director will support the successful execution of the YMCA of Greater Boston’s strategic imperatives to be a charity, partner, and employer of choice for years to come. The healthy living director will create a transformative Y Experience that builds loyal members, energizes employees and volunteers, inspires donors, and stimulates growth and innovation.
The Senior Program Director will drive success in the following areas of responsibility to support a strong Y Experience:
- Performance Achievement: Accountable for the performance of your home branch Healthy Living Experience team. Responsible for hiring, coaching, and managing all direct reports and ensuring compliance with association hiring practices for all positions within their organizational structure. Conducts quarterly connections with direct reports to ensure progress with OKRs, ability to work well with others and discuss career development. Supervises, coaches, and provides support to the Membership Director provides feedback.
- Customer Service and Experience: Directs, trains, and supports staff to create a high-quality Y experience as evidence by positive Net Promoter scores. Responds to all member concerns in a timely manner and effectively solves problems that improve the Y experience. Conducts a minimum of quarterly reality checks at all branches within your region.
- Direct Service: Direct service should be limited to 10 hrs. per week of time. Direct service is defined as working on the fitness floor and working as leader on duty, teaching a Goup Exercise Class or Personal Training. The 10 hrs. of time is a recommendation and will be determined by the branch needs.
- Membership and Program Enrollment, Growth and Experience - Drives program enrollment and growth of fee and medically based programs. Meet all revenue and enrollment targets. Develop and monitor annual, monthly, and weekly sales goals for all fee-based programs.
- Group Exercise Enrollment, growth, and experience: Collect, track, and assess key data to manage branch group exercise offerings and schedules to maximize group exercise participation.
- Program Development - Provide leadership for the implementation of all fees based healthy living programs and virtual and/or branch specific medically based programs. Ensure all programs are high-quality and transformative as demonstrated by net-promoter scores and other experience metrics.
- Fiscal management - Develops an annual budget according to association instructions and ensures successful execution of the plan. Works with all direct reports to identify growth opportunities, forecasting monthly, and correct financial deficiencies on a timely basis.
- Operational Effectiveness: Ensures YMCA of Greater Boston’s standards of excellence around scheduling, cleanliness and safety are met. Communicates and elevates any safety concerns, facility, or equipment maintenance issues to appropriate team members. Holds weekly meetings with the Membership Director to review OKR’s, program enrollment and other key data.
- Member Engagement: Leads branch team to execute regular engagement events, in person and/or virtual. Utilize the YMCA of Greater Boston app, and wearables to increase participation and help members achieve their personal goals
- Marketing and Community Engagement: Represents and promotes Healthy Living Programs and Membership in the community and at events. Actively drives internal marketing efforts to promote health and wellness program growth and cross promotion of other program areas as assigned.
- Collaboration: Work in a collaborative manner with other departments and association leadership. Communicates as need to ensure that all staff within the home branch and healthy living leads are.
- Trends - Stays current on trend identification and implications for the branch in the following areas:
- Competitive analysis and external environment changes
- Special Events in the community
- Virtual based membership
- Health and Wellness
- Active, Nationally Accredited, Group Exercise Certification
- Bachelor’s degree in exercise science, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- CPR/AED and First Aid certifications
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in adult learning methods
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in work relating to group exercise, personal and group training, paid or volunteer required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to physically and verbally interact with members and staff.
- At times, be able to lift amounts up to 50 lbs.
Skills and Competencies:
- Knowledge and experience of sales practices and overcoming objections
- Excellent knowledge of computers, MS Office (Word and Excel), Adobe InDesign, and Internet Explorer. Ability to learn new software and search techniques quickly. Excellent keyboard skills.
- Excellent written (spelling, punctuation and grammar) and verbal communication skills and communicating the value of belonging to the Y.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, work independently, problem solve and possess effective time management skills.
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to changing environments.
- Experience in developing highly engaging group exercise classes and offerings
- Knowledge of best practices related to group exercise and general health and wellness
- Ability to effectively motivate a team
Outcomes and Position Expectations for Branch/Branches
- Improvement in member retention by engagement in high quality group exercise programs
- Meet expectations of 80%+ net promoter score
- Growth in all fee-based programs. Hits weekly, monthly, and annual sales goals. Hits all key metrics: packages sold and renewed.
- Growth and implementation of high-quality medically based programs
- The Senior Health and wellness director will be seen as a subject matter expert and an innovator in healthy living programming.
- Operating practices and systems are in place and consistently implemented for
- Membership growth & retention
- Program enrollment and growth
- Overall member experience
- Timely action planning is in place (with effective) for operating units and/or program areas that have performance concerns.
- Identification of development opportunities for their direct reports and high potential leaders.
- Fosters community among members through responding and resolving member concerns within a timely manner and creating opportunities for members to get to know other members.
- Increased sense of community with and among members
- Maintains all safe for you safe for us protocols