Full-Time exempt with great benefits at the Greater Providence YMCA
The Controller is responsible for all accounting operations of the Greater Providence YMCA including the preparation of financial reports, accounts receivable, and accounts payable. This position collaborates with other administrative and branch staff to identify information needed to track financial activity. The Controller worked with the outside accounting firm to ensure the completion of annual audits and required IRS forms and financial paperwork. The Controller provides analysis of pertinent data and offers guidance on achieving financial outcomes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below represent the required knowledge, skill, and/or ability. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Knowledge of GAAP and A-133 audit requirements
- HIPAA training and compliance as outlined in the Wisewoman membership program
- Superior attention to detail and deadlines
- Knowledge of computer applications, including Excel and general accounting packages
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, creative, and team-oriented environment
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- In partnership with branch staff, responsible for preparation of annual agency budget. This process also includes the analysis of monthly financials about the budget and appropriate trends and forecasts.
- Responsible for preparing monthly financial statements and account reconciliations with the Senior Accountant and Finance and Grant Manager, including the month-end closing process, with reconciliations completed promptly.
- Coordinates annual audit and completion of audit work papers, as well as the annual IRS Form 990 and entering the 990 data into the YUSA C-Trac Portal.
- Works with Senior Accountant and Finance and Grant Manager to ensure branch income information is appropriately captured and reflected in financial statements.
- In collaboration with appropriate staff, create metrics to monitor strategies' financial success and prepare monthly reports on identified indicators.
- Prepares supplemental financial reports as needed
- Assists branch staff in expanding financial literacy
- Supervises Finance Department staff and ensures accuracy and timeliness of department information, including fund development, accounts payable, grants, general accounting, and the Central Business Office staff.
- Ensures internal controls that monitor and safeguard assets of the agency exist and are being followed.
- Works with the auditors to review and oversee journal entries, reconciliations, endowments, and restricted cash.
- Works closely with IT staff to ensure that computer and software systems provide accurate information and adequate internal controls.
- Facilitates vital functions such as the annual independent audit. Develops and maintains key relationships, including with banks and vendors.
- Manages operating cash flow management, ensuring timely payment to vendors and project cash flow requirements throughout the year.
- Conducts special internal audits, accounting studies, analyses, and cost studies as required. Provides recommendations as needed based on findings.
- Oversees the purchase order approval system and workflow to maximize efficiency and monitor
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field.
Minimum of 5 years of experience in an accounting management position required
8-10 years of successful experience in financial management/reporting
Supervisory solid knowledge and skills