Summer Camp season is quickly approaching, and the Cross Island YMCA is currently accepting applications for Summer Camp Unit Leaders. Our camps are seeking the “best of the best” candidates to ensure that our campers have the best summer of their lives.
Y Summer Camp
There is an energy and magic to summer camp that cannot be replicated. Throughout the gyms, classrooms, playgrounds, campgrounds, buses and trains, campers can be heard laughing, singing, playing and learning. Y Camps provide an exciting camp experience in a safe and accepting environment and enhance campers’ self-confidence, self-esteem and leadership skills.
Is this the job for you?
Do you want to work for an organization that continuously strives to make a positive impact in NYC? The Y is in all 5 boroughs. We serve 12,000 campers by providing fun, safe and positive experiences for kids.
Who are we looking to hire?
We are looking for people who enjoy working with youth. People who are creative, have a passion about teaching youth new skills, are enthusiastic and model our four core values: Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility. We are looking for people who can provide a safe and positive environment for school age children, to provide opportunities for learning, interaction, and academic/personal growth.
What’s in it for you?
Aside from being a part of a greater movement and actively playing a role in developing our next generation, the Y offers so much more:
- Build your resume with marketable skills that include teamwork, creativity, communication and leadership.
- Receive 40 hours of training which are great to list on your resume.
- Work for an organization that consistently raises the bar and always looks towards being innovative – did you know the Y invented basketball?
- Have fun – while this is a serious job and safety is our number one priority, we conduct our days with all things fun.
- Take advantage of discount offers to special events throughout New York City, via our “Plum Benefits” program.
- Get a Y membership. Our seasonal staff receive an individual, adult membership for the time of their employment.
- Must be 20 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent with college credits desired.
- At least two (2) years of experience working with youth, with supervision experience preferred.
- Must be available to work Monday-Friday, from 8 am to 6 pm.
- General knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Knowledge of Access, Adobe PageMaker and Photoshop preferred.
A day in the life of a Summer Camp Unit Leader
The Summer Camp Unit Leader is responsible for providing leadership, oversight and support to the staff, children and parents of one of the Summer Day Camp units. The Unit Leader will provide quality supervision and program execution, which includes adherence to all Y, Department of Health and funder standards, expectations and regulations. The Unit Leader will work with Summer Camp Counselors to plan and implement meaningful activities, lesson plans and special events that are structured, age-appropriate, fun, exciting, challenging, and values based; promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all staff and participants, and a positive camp spirit.
Want more information on Camp? – click here.
The summer day camp season begins July 3rd and ends on August 25th. You must also attend, and successfully complete, 40 hours of pre-camp training.
The YMCA of Greater New York offers a variety of benefits to its staff members including retirement benefits, medical, paid-time off, free YMCA membership and more! Benefit eligibility is determined by an individual’s employment status (ie. full-time or part-time), tenure and/or the number of hours scheduled to work. Click here for more information.