Would you like to change lives by making sure camp is an amazing experience for every camper? At Camp Seymour you get to teach kids self-reliance, a love for nature and the outdoors, and the development of attitudes and practices that build character and leadership – all amidst the fun of camp fires, canoeing, archery, talent shows, and meaningful relationships.
As one of the Teen Leadership Staff you will spend time with your cabin group here on camp property then venture out on trips. You will be expected to supervise staff and ensure campers are being safe, making connections, and having a great time.
You will spend your days outside laughing, talking, and participating in everything from campfire to canoeing and archery. You will be an adult role model who encourages creativity, instills confidence, self-esteem, a life of adventure, and a sense of belonging.
In this position you will be able to use your skills to:
- Build relationships:
- Supervise staff placed in unit which will include coaching, teaching, reinforcing, assisting with difficult situations and correcting behavior.
- Establish and positively reinforce performance standards for staff.
- Make a conscious effort to get to know staff as individuals: interests, working style, strengths, areas for improvement, putting a conscious effort into ensuring that it is an impactful, enjoyable summer for staff too.
- Demonstrate YMCA Values:
- Recognize individual and group situations and effectively resolve conflicts based on camp values and procedures.
- Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for your campers’ safety and their whereabouts at all times.
- Provide Quality Results:
- Help facilitate daily programming, including overnights. Add creativity and variety to the camp program with the help of the camp director and camp staff.
- Assume on duty responsibilities, run meal times, line ups, lock up and other responsibilities as mutually agreed upon with a supervisor.
- Participate 100% with activities; enjoy playing, and not "sit on the sidelines", being visible throughout the day, leading transition times and supervising campers
Starting Wage: $390+ per week, depending on qualifications
*This is a Residential position that includes room and board.*
Date of Employment: June 13th – August 25, 2023 (dates are approximate)
Everyone is Welcome
The Y stands for nondiscrimination, diversity, inclusion, and equity. We welcome all people regardless of ability, age, background, ethnicity, faith, gender identity, gender expression, race, or sexual orientation. We are dedicated to removing institutional and systemic barriers that result in oppression and racism.
Are you a good fit?
- You are committed to valuing and promoting diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- You are at least 21 years old.
- You have experience in leading trip/travel program and/or personal outdoor experience.
- You have a positive attitude and previous experience with diverse populations.
- You have knowledge and skills in program activities and teen leadership, and the ability to instruct participants in age appropriate techniques.
- you have Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder, CPR/AED
- You want to make the difference in the life of a child this summer.
- Able and willing to complete Child Abuse Prevention training on first day and other online or in-person training as required.