YMCA Camp Santa Maria is seeking adventurers who will guide campers to an extraordinarily memorable summer at our picturesque overnight camp nestled in the heart of the Rocky Mountains near Grant, CO. We are looking for enthusiastic, outdoors-loving Adventure Guides who are passionate about connecting children to the natural world, helping children try new activities and persevere through challenges, and creating a community of respect, acceptance and caring. Adventure Guides build and maintain a strong and supportive community of 10-12 campers alongside their co-guide and show them the spirit of the outdoors during off-camp wilderness trips and on-camp wilderness experiences. Our Adventure Guides provide leadership, direction and supervision to their campers as well as to the greater camp community. Along with the Leadership Program and the Teen Expedition Program, Adventure Guides facilitate camp activities in large and small groups in a rustic/wilderness setting. They will lead a variety of group activities, such as backpacking, rope skills, and Leave No Trace principles while also giving individual support, mentorship and attention to campers.
Our ideal candidates understand the power of community and teamwork and are eager to work with other members of our staff team throughout the summer. We are looking for staffers who have an "I've got this" mindset, who show initiative and a solutions-minded attitude whether they're dealing with a homesick camper, a lightning strike, or a face painting with campfire ash.
Pay Rate: Starting at $400-435/week dependent on previous Camp Santa Maria or other camp experience. This position requires you to live at camp. Room and board are included. Training begins May 24th.
OUR BENEFITS ROCK. All full-time Santa Maria seasonal staff are eligible to receive a free family membership to the YMCA of Northern Colorado: From teens to seniors, this benefit impacts the entire household! And your family can receive 50% to 100% off YMCA of Northern Colorado Programs. That includes free YMCA Camp Noco traditional day camp, youth sports, learn to skate and swim lessons, and half off YMCA Camp Santa Maria overnight camp, personal training, specialty summer camps, and childcare. Have questions about how our benefits apply to you? Your unique benefits package will be discussed at the point of hire.
View all openings and apply online today at https://www.ymcanoco.org/careers.
We were founded as the Young Men's Christian Association in 1844. But today, we are The Y, an association that values, and is made stronger by, its diverse people. At the YMCA of Northern Colorado, we are committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of gender, age, disability, ethnicity, sexual orientation or religious affiliation.
- 18+ years old.
- High school graduate or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred.
- Previous experience working with children preferred.
- Previous experience with recreational wilderness trip programs preferred.
- Experience preferred in one or more of the following areas: wilderness survival skills, backcountry camping, aquatics, rock climbing, recreational games, trip planning, etc.
- Completion of: Child Abuse Prevention for Supervisory Staff, Staff Training, WFA, CPR, AED, Bloodborne Pathogens, Leave No Trace Trainer, Medication Administration Delegation. (We provide this as part of staff training week) Lifeguard certification is a plus.
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Ability to plan, lead and participate in a range of activities in a variety of outdoor/indoor settings.
- Supervises a group of up to 10-12 children in a co-ed tent village, and in backcountry camp sites.
- Plans and implements progressive program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA values with the support of the Outdoor Adventure Camp Managers.
- Adheres to program standards and expectations including safety and cleanliness standards.
- Models relationship-building skills in all interactions.
- Maintains constructive and timely communication with supervisors.