YMCA of the Ozarks
YMCA of the Ozarks
YMCA of the Ozarks
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization
committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and
social responsibility. The Program Director at the Gloucester County YMCA maintains a
supportive, positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals and provides
direct leadership, instruction and motivation for members and program participants.
Program Director will be directly responsible for the growth of aquatic programs, group and
specialty fitness classes, summer camp, and evidence-based health initiatives.
· Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent experience.
· YMCA Team Leader certification preferred, or obtained within 2 years of hire.
· One to two years related experience preferred (e.g., as an aquatics coordinator or
· Within 90 days of hire, completion of Child Abuse Prevention, Working with Program
Volunteers, CPR, First Aid, AED, and Bloodborne Pathogens training.
· Completion of YMCA aquatics training and trainer certifications.
· Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic
segments of the community.
In coordination with YMCA of the Pines leadership, the Program Director shall:
1. Lead and develop aquatic programming in line with YMCA standards. An emphasis
on program quality and impact. Position the Y as a leader in water safety in Southern
2. Lead and develop YMCA of the Pines Health Based Initiative programs, including
Blood Pressure Management, Diabetes Prevention, and other YUSA-accredited health
programs. Assist the YMCA of the Pines in becoming a partner of choice for chronic
disease programs in our area.
3. Lead and develop Gloucester County YMCA group exercise programs in conjunction
with our membership department. The Program Director will be responsible for
supervision of all classes, ensuring classes are engaging and impactful.
4. Lead and develop youth enrichment programs in conjunction with YMCA of the Pines
Day Camp and Before/After school programs. Oversee summer camp early enrollment
for 2024, and eventually summer camp operations in Woodbury for 2024
5. Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency
and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
6. The Program Director at the Gloucester County YMCA will be responsible for overall
branch program revenue growth.
7. Develop and maintain a culture and emphasis on first-class customer service with the
staff. Respond to user, parent, and/or customer complaints, questions, issues, or
8. Assess program for risk and loss management issues, and ensures all incident reports
are completed within 24 hours of incident occurrence.
9. Maintain developmental assets and core values emphasis in all program areas.
10. Maintain and expand training skills and credentials for the benefit of the organization
as a whole, and the YMCA Movement.
11. Maintain compliance with all accreditation and regulatory agencies including the county
Board of Health, the state Board of Health, the American Camp Association,
Praesidium, and any other relevant agencies.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to
serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive
working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and
perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other
person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding
and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation
to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member
experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work, and actively participates in
meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities
immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates
an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses
personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the
functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices
and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.