Come and join the YMCA of South Hampton Roads as the Aquatics Director in Chesapeake, Virginia.
Under the direction of the Executive Director and responsible to the Vice President of Aquatics Experience, the Aquatics Director develops, organizes, and implements high-quality YMCA aquatic programs. Ensures the aquatics experience is safe, fun, and enjoyable for members and program participants.
Division of Duties
- 40% Maintain a safe aquatic operation – including physical facilities with trained and ready staff
- 30% Growth of aquatics programing – Swim Lessons and Family Programs
- 15% Management of Operations – Certifications, Audits, In-Services, Chemical Logs, etc.
- 15% Staff Development – Recruiting, Hiring, and Training
- Supervision of all aspects of aquatics safety at assigned center
- Accountable for budget expectations and outcomes of the aquatics department.
- Responsible for recruitment of new members and participants through innovative aquatic programming that reflects the mission of current and future programs.
- Responsible for providing complete aquatics maintenance and pool care.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director and Association team, work cohesively with outside organizations and partners to ensure the pool is available to meet the ongoing needs of the Community.
1. Budget and Financial Performance
- Responsible for developing and managing the aquatics budget to meet fiscal objectives.
- Makes necessary purchases, inventories, and deliveries of all program-related supplies in accordance with Association standards
2. Program Development and Membership Development
- Directs and supervises all aquatic program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives. Establishes new program activities and expands programs within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
- Creates and schedules swim classes, rentals, water exercise, and family events in the pool.
- Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in a timely manner.
- Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation
3. Team Performance Towards Organizational Goals
- Recruits, hires, trains, schedules and supervises all aquatic personnel and volunteers. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete.
- Conducts lifeguarding, swim instruction, oxygen administration, swim instructor First Aid and CPR trainings.
- Assists with Program Committee and Cabinet meetings as necessary.
- Ensures all aquatics staff is trained in emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Follows expectations of regular in-service training for staff and completes all related reports for record keeping.
- Actively participates in YMCA fundraising activities and special events.
5. Professional Development
- Completes employee training as required, including NSO, Bloodborne Pathogens and Child Abuse Prevention.
- Adheres to all YMCA of South Hampton Roads policies, procedures, rules, COVID-19 health and safety precautions, regulations and best practices as outlined by the Association.
- Is able to perform all functions as those they supervise and meets qualifications and certifications of Lifeguard III and Swim Instructor.
- Assists in all areas as assigned.
6. Facility Management
- Conducts and ensures proper maintenance of outdoor pools and indoor pools. Maintains accurate records of pool chemical levels and facility maintenance in adherence with state, local, and YMCA health and safety regulations.
Cause-Driven Leadership Competencies
- Engaging Community
- Communication & Influence
- Developing Self & Others