Looking to create magic? Come join our amazing year-round team! Camp Matollionequay, a girls’ sleepaway camp, is seeking an enthusiastic, detail-oriented Camp Director. Responsibilities include $1M budget oversight, furthering the implementation of a character-development framework, marketing, fundraising, continually growing and developing program curriculum and enrollment, hiring and supervising seasonal staff , delivering top-notch customer service, overseeing all day-to-day camp operations, positively impacting lives, and so much more! We are looking for someone who: 1. heads toward a problem to resolve it; 2. believes that everyone has something good to offer, 3. seizes joy in moments of stress; 4. ventures beyond what they can see; 5. gets back up again, and helps others to do the same; and 6. seeks to understand rather than judge. If this is you, apply by emailing your resume and cover letter.
This position requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in human services, social services, recreation, business, or equivalent, or a degree is expected to be obtained within 2 years of hire, and three-years experience in all aspects of Resident Camp, including management, supervision, public relations, and program development. Experience in budget development/monitoring and marketing is necessary. This position also requires communication, program evaluation, statistical analysis, organization, computer and planning skills as well as relational skills, integrity, flexibility, the ability to focus in the midst of commotion, and a proven track record of developing authentic and deepened relationships with others. YMCA Team Leader or Multi-team/Branch Leader certification preferred, or obtained within 2 years of hire (Team Leader) or 3 years of hire (Multi-Team/Branch Leader).
- Recruit, hire, and supervise summer counselors, instructional staff, and health care personnel.
- Plan and run staff training in coordination with other camp departments.
- Develop a program that gives campers a complete, age-appropriate, and progressive experience in a safe and nurturing environment.
- Organize and conduct check-in/check-out days.
- Develop and monitor program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
- Assist with marketing and social media of summer camp.
- Respond to parent, camper, and staff needs in season and out with promptness.
- Maintain relationships with parents, campers, and staff through personal calls, mailings, tours, events, and other points of contact during the offseason.
- Assess, collaborate with appropriate staff, and respond to all risk management issues. Complete all incident reports within 24-hours of incident occurrence.
- ·Establish and maintain a culture of first-class customer service among staff including summer counselors, instructional staff, and other personnel.
- Recruit campers through attendance at camp fairs, camper home visits, and other events.
- Responsible for the retention of campers through ensuring exceptional programming, first-class customer service, and responsiveness to parent concerns and needs.
- Maintain administrative detail of all related Girl’s Overnight Camp programs including program logistics and scheduling. Responsible for completion of camp paperwork such as schedules, inventories, lesson plans, camper and staff evaluations, and camper forms.
- Monitors staff moral, ensuring that staff receive enough recreational and rest time.
- Maintain an active role in fundraising, including the identification of a number of grants each year, participation in annual fundraising events, conducting additional fundraising events, and ultimately raising a certain number of dollars per annual campaign.
- Comply with all NJ State Youth Camp Act, ACA, and YMCA standards.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work, and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.