The YMCA of Memphis & the Mid-South is a growing $50m Association with 11 locations serving areas in West Tennessee and North Mississippi.
The YMCA of Memphis & the Mid-South is one of the fastest growing YMCA associations in the country. Come join a fast-growing team with a lot of exciting opportunities ahead. The YMCA is focused on strengthening communities through healthy living, youth development and social responsibility. Our focus on healthy living is carried out through our network of fitness centers. Our focus on youth development is carried out through our before and after care programs (school age children), early learning centers (pre-school children), summer camps and at-risk youth programs. Our focus on social responsibility is primarily carried out through our 2 million+ meals a year food program serving at-risk and food insecure children across the Mid-South. The YMCA of Memphis & the Mid-south currently has the largest YMCA food program in the United States. If you are looking for a way to make an impact in your community and want to work with like-minded people then join our team.
The Vice President of Human Resources is located at our headquarter facility at 7171 Goodlett Farms Parkway in Cordova, TN. It reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer and will lead all human resource functions for the entire organization of 150 full time and over 1,200 part time employees spread across West Tennessee and North Mississippi. As the YMCA of Memphis & the Mid-South is in a significant growth mode, we need a growth minded, challenge seeking individual to join the team and help guide the company to the next level. This position will be a member of the senior leadership team.
The Vice President of Human Resources leads all human resource functions for the organization. The position has an incredible team of seven staff in place. It will be important the incoming VP is a good fit with the existing team. The team of seven includes a Director of Employee Experience, Director of Recruiting, two Pre-employment Specialists, HR Coordinator, a Recruiting Assistant (open) and an HR Training Assistant. The essential functions for this position are as follows:
- Leads the recruiting, onboarding, hiring and training initiatives for the Company.
- Identifying, hiring and retaining quality employees for the organization will be the key to our continued growth. The VP of Human Resources will be the leader of this effort.
- Represents the Company as the front door to the organization. The VP of HR works with the recruiting team and other departments across the company to create a professional, competent and inviting front door to our Company through recruiting events, hiring events, the onboarding experience and subsequent training and development.
- Measures and develops key strategies around employee retention, employee professional development and succession planning for key positions across the company.
- Develops management training as it relates to the employee life cycle: Interviewing terminations, promotions, performance review, safety, child abuse and sexual harassment.
- In coordination with our Chief Legal Counsel and Director of Employee Experience, advises management in the appropriate resolution of employee relations issues.
- Owns the salary administration program and responsible for ensuring compliance that program and ensuring pay equity within the organization.
- Owns and oversees all employee benefits programs such as life, health, dental and disability insurances, vacation, sick leave, leave of absence, YMCA retirement plan and employee assistance. Coordinates with the CFO annually on the selection and renewal of same benefits.
- Expected to identify trends in the hiring markets and advise management accordingly on solutions to deal with those. Expected to identify additional incentives, programs, benefits or otherwise as needed to help the YMCA be the employer of choice for our respective career opportunities.
- Sets strategy and policy as it relates to employee performance reviews, exit interviews, stay interviews and charged with identifying and providing solutions for patterns or recurring issues in those processes.
- Owner of the Human Resources systems and leads any modifications or new implementations to those systems. The YMCA currently uses Ceridian Dayforce but is planning a transition to Paylocity in 2023. The VP of HR will lead that transition.
- In conjunction with the Chief Legal Counsel, represents the Company at personnel-related hearings and investigations.
- Has a leadership role in our internal Leadership Academy, an annual YMCA Memphis leadership development program.
- Has a leadership role in guiding our internal YMCA Employee Resource Groups.
- Senior Leadership Sponsor for the Fun Club (fun event planning).
- Plans and administers policies relating to all phases of human resources activity.
- Responsible for ensuring company compliance with all local, state and federal requirements.
- Additional projects as assigned by the CFO.
Cause-Driven Leadership Competencies
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to
serve others and fulfill community needs. Builds effective, supportive working relationships
and is a supporter of the Y in fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions,
and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the
other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for
understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one
situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better
member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates
in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial
irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value
experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates
an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses
personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the
functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices
and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.