YMCA of the Triangle Area
YMCA of the North
YMCA of Central New York
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. Under the guidance of the Executive Director, the Senior Director of Finance shall be responsible for financial transactions and ensure that all business procedures are followed in accordance with the Sheridan County YMCA.
1. At least 21 years of age.
2. Minimum of a bachelor's in accounting, finance, or related degree.
3. 8 years of overall accounting experience, with at least 3 of those years in a financial management role.
4. Demonstrated Non-Profit experience preferred.
5. Experience in holding final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, and reporting/audit coordination for either a division or significant program area.
6. Hands-on experience in annual budgeting, forecasting, financial statement preparations and analysis.
7. Ability to translate financial concepts to and to effectively collaborate with programmatic and fundraising colleagues who may not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
8. Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
9. Successful track record in setting priorities; organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
10.Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
11. Multitasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
12. Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the YMCA's mission and values.
13. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
14. Ability to solve practical problems and work through situations of varying gravity.
15. Alarm/Emergency Procedures training within 30 days of hire and annually thereafter.
1. Hires, trains, supervises, develops, and manages all accounting staff and budgets, including accounts payable and receivable, payroll, and general accounting areas.
2. Translates organizational goals into executable plans with accountable staff and volunteers by defining tasks, milestones, and priorities for programs or projects; manages all functions of accounting and business operations, ensuring that legal and audit requirements are met, and that best practices and maximum efficiency are obtained.
3. Oversees and provides leadership to the annual budget process including issuing guidelines and procedures, training staff, auditing budgets, overseeing data input, and preparing reports.
4. Designs practices, processes, and procedures for strong fiscal management.
5. Maintains an accounting system to accomplish the proper recording and reporting of all operations, transactions, assets, and liabilities of the YMCA for all funds to include reserve analysis.
6. Maintains records and prepares various internal and external reports, including reports for various federal and state agencies in addition to Y National Reports.
7. Manages the annual independent audit, the preparation of financial statements and the IRS 990 tax form. Prepares or oversees the preparation of required audit schedules; maintains records; Conducts internal audits, accounting studies, analyses, and cost studies; acts as liaison with audit team and YMCA Finance Committee.
8. Prepares financial statements required by management, the board, and outside agencies.
9. Oversees the month-end and year-end closings and the preparation of statements and reports.
10. Implements, manages, and oversees personnel and payroll administration including maintenance of records and related systems.
11. Serves as a resource to management and program personnel in all matters related to accounting.
12. Manages basic property and casualty insurance as it pertains to commercial property, liability, Workman’s Comp, Cyber and professional liability.
13. Supervises and/or prepares reconciliations of all YMCA bank accounts daily.
14. Collects and maintains data on government contracts and grants.
15. Coordinates and supervises operating cash flow management.
Advancing our Mission & Cause
Change Leadership: Facilitates, co-creates, and implements equitable change for the good of the organization and/or community.
Engaging Community: Builds bridges with others in the community to ensure the Y’s work is community focused and welcoming of all, providing community benefit.
Philanthropy: Secures resources and support to advance the Y’s work.
Volunteerism: engages volunteers and promotes social responsibility at all levels of the organization.
Collaboration: Creates sustainable relationships within the Y and with other organizations in service to the community.
Communication & Influence: Listens and expresses self effectively and in a way that engages, inspires, and builds commitment to the Y’s cause.
Inclusion: Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and global work, as well as cultural competence.
Critical Thinking & Decision Making: Makes informed decisions based on logic, data, and sound judgment.
Fiscal Management: Manages the Y’s resources responsibly and sustains the Y’s nonprofit business model.
Functional Expertise: Executes superior technical skills for the role.
Innovation: Creates and implements new and relevant approaches and activities that improve and expand the Y’s work and impact in the community.
Program/Project Management: Ensures program or project goals are met and intended impact occurs.
Developing & Inspiring People
Developing Self & Others: Develops self and supports others (e.g., staff, volunteers, members, program participants), both formally and informally, to achieve their highest potential.
Emotional Maturity: Demonstrates ability to understand and manage emotions effectively in all situations.