The YMCA Iowa Mississippi Valley has an excellent advancement opportunity for a lead aquatics staff ready to move up in their career!
Perks of working at the Y!
The Y provides a total compensation package that includes a competitive salary, benefits and other perks as outlined below.
SALARY: $40,000 annually
BENEFITS: As a full-time, salary/exempt employee, our competitive benefit package includes:
- Health insurance: Y pays 65-93% for individual and 57-82% for family; Dental: Y pays 65%; Vision available
- Flexible Spending Account/Health Savings Account
- Y Retirement Fund: Y pays 12% after employee meets eligibility requirements
- Eligible to participate in 403B savings account through Y Retirement Fund
- Paid Time Off: Begins accruing at 21 days per year up to a max of 32. Caps at 256 hours
- Life Insurance: Y pays 1 X salary, EE has option to purchase additional coverage
- Long Term Disability: Paid by the Y; Employee can elect to purchase Short Term Disability
- Free household YMCA membership! Discounts on programs
- Child Care discount 25%; Summer Camp discounts
- Free Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Program
Since 1858, the YMCA of the Iowa Mississippi Valley has been an integral part of the Quad Cities area. With 6 branches, numerous child care locations and Camp Abe Lincoln, we continue to grow and strengthen the community to bring about positive change. The Quad Cities area, on the Mississippi River, is home to a more than 27,000 businesses including John Deere World Headquarters, Arconic, Kraft, Exelon and a major military installation - the Rock Island Arsenal. We have low cost of living, great school systems and several higher education institutions. Here you can experience a variety of extra-curricular activities similar to those found in big cities but with a small town feel such as arts, baseball, big name concerts and events, and much more!
The qualified candidate will possess at a minimum:
- Demonstrated skill in all areas of aquatics management
- Ability to build solid relations and build on current collaborations with school partners and other community entities to grow programs
- Ability to build and grow aquatics programs
- Strong ability to effectively communicate with program participants, parents, members and community partners.
The Program Director ensures quality programs are offered in a manner that best serves the community and develops positive long-term relationships with participants. The Program Director is primarily responsible for generating, planning and organizing productive, innovative and age-appropriate Aquatics activities and classes for overall administration of each program in the assigned branch. The Program Director will managethe program in accordance with the goals, objectives, and budgetary constraints set forth and in compliance with the policies and procedures of the YMCA of the Iowa Mississippi Valley.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Directly responsible for the management of all Aquatics program staff for the assigned branch.
- Serve as role model to members and Y staff and, at all times live the mission, vision, and values of the YMCA movement.
- Inform and educate all members and program participants about the mission, character development, goals, action plans, programs and charitable purpose of the Y.
- Develop initiatives to promote increased enrollment in aquatics programs for assigned branch.
- Participate in association Quality Teams.
- Requires physically working in the aquatic program a minimum of 50% of the time in all the various positions (i.e. Lifeguard, Swim Instructor, Program Assistant, etc.).
- Stock first aid, AED and rescue kits, water chemistry supplies and maintain equipment in assigned branch.
- Plan and supervise comprehensive recreation programs for youth, families and adults.
- Responsible for management of all program staff to include, but not limited to, scheduling, recruiting, hiring, training, evaluating, mentoring and performance management.
- Facilitate training and development opportunities for all program staff to ensure completion and required certification are obtained and maintained (i.e. in-services, etc.)
- Prepare and manage program budget within the set goals.
- Monitor expenditures and payroll in accordance with established procedures.
- Attend and engage in community functions and events to promote the YMCA mission, programs and services.
- Market programs internally and externally to promote growth and sustainability.
- Assist with association training programs.
- Purchase supplies and equipment as required for program needs.
- Attend training and certification workshops necessary for the safe and effective management of programs.
- Provide accurate records and appropriate reports to comply with the requirements of insurance, state codes, and other regulatory requirements.
- Manage facilities and equipment used for programs and rentals in the gyms and multipurpose areas of assigned branch.
- Perform MOD duties as outlined in the association MOD schedule.
- Maintain certifications listed under Certificates and Other Requirements.
- Adherence to all policies and procedures of YMCA of the Iowa Mississippi Valley.
- Understand and follow all safety rules and regulations including knowledge of emergency procedures and location of emergency equipment.
- Regular and timely adherence to respective schedule/meetings
- All other duties as assigned by the Branch Executive.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Requires physical ability to remove a grown adult from a body of water, move grown adult 100 feet, lift a minimum of 50 lbs, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, stand, swim, walk, balancing, and climb. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk and/or hear. Must be physically able to perform the various activities conducted during youth programs.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and varying fitness equipment. The noise level in the work environment can vary from quiet to moderate during office hours and moderate too loud during event hours. This position works in a variety of environments which can include but are not limited to, office settings, pools, gymnasiums, and outdoors. This position works a varied work week as determined by the needs required to manage operations and events of which can include working evening, weekend, and additional hours to accommodate program and other activities representing the organization and branch operation.
- Must pass background check
- Lifeguarding/CPR/First Aid/AED certification*
- Mandatory Reporter*
- Lifeguard Instructor certification
- YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor certification by must be obtained within 90 days of hire.
*Note: If not currently certified, must obtain certification within 30 days of hire. The * noted certification training programs are provided by YMCA staff.