Lakewood Family YMCA
Austin Metropolitan YMCA
Raritan Bay Area YMCA
The Operations Director is the day-to-day operational leader of the Branch/Operating Unit. As key administrative staff in an YMCA actively engaged in many national Y initiatives, this position is responsible for the general administration of the branch/unit, including staff supervision and coaching, budgeting, expense control, income generation, membership and program development, quality control, and facility maintenance. This person participates in the Board of Directors meeting and serves as the staff liaison to assigned committees. The Operations Director also provides direction and leadership for the achievement of Organizational goals in accordance with the policies, procedures and standards established by the Board that will advance the mission of the YMCA.
Bachelor's degree in human services, social services, business or equivalent preferred. Six or more years of management experience, preferably in a YMCA or other nonprofit agency required. Ability to direct total operations through volunteer development, staff supervision, development and monitoring of branch budget, marketing and public relations, and program development. Experience in management and development of volunteer involvement; ability to recruit top community leaders. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community. Proven track record of developing authentic relationships with others. Ability to establish and maintain collaborations with community organizations. Strong writing, verbal and presentation skills. Must meet YMCA of the Suncoast driving criteria. Physical and mental requirements include considerable sitting, standing, walking, written and verbal communication, and an ability to handle stress and multiple priorities.
Core and Strategic Functions
High-Quality Programs, Services and Facilities
· Direct and administer the operation of the branch, including the interpretation and execution of established policies, the development of procedures and methods, staffing, evaluation of the effectiveness of the programs and operation.
· Plan and conduct a wide variety of programs and activities that maximize the facilities available, support the Cause and enhance membership.
· Create a nurturing and safe environment by reporting suspicious activity that may lead to child abuse or may violate the code of conduct. Ensure the safety and maintenance of high quality facilities, grounds, and equipment by keeping supplies organized, maintain and clean facility and care for equipment.
· Promote and monitor membership growth, taking a leadership role in membership cultivation.
Staff and Volunteer Management
· Recruit, hire, supervise and develop department staff and volunteers through use of Leadership Competency Model resources.
· Directs the program/event volunteer activities of the branch.
· Work with other Branch staff to further the work of the branch.
· Assist in the preparation of the annual budget.
· Recommend adjustments and administer the budget, exercising necessary controls to ensure operations that are consistent with the goal of a balanced operational budget.
· Represent and promote the YMCA in the local community and develop positive working relationships with other organizations, businesses, and governmental entities.
· Interpret and communicate the objectives and programs of the YMCA through public communication media.
· Incorporate storytelling in an effort to advance our mission and financial development efforts.
· Assist in the Organization and implementation of the Community Support Campaign in close harmony with staff and volunteers and in accordance with the standards of the Association.
· Serve as a member of Y management and support the overall objectives of the YMCA.
· Accountability, professionalism, relationship-based behavior, and ethical behavior are required at all times.
· Teach and role model SMART behavior.
· Advance our work in Youth Development, Healthy Living, Volunteerism and Philanthropy.
· Incorporate Living Our Cause into work products and behavior.
(all position functions are essential to the position)
YMCA Competencies – Multi-Team or Branch Leader
Influence –and Serves as a community leader, building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance the Y’s mission and goals.
Developing Others – Provides tools and resources for the development of others.
Decision Making –Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions.
Finance – Institutes sound accounting procedures, investment policies, and financial controls.
Quality Results – Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement.
Emotional Maturity – Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning.