Ignite your passion to lead the Kentucky/West Virginia Alliance! Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture.
The YMCA Kentucky-West Virginia Alliance Governing Council is looking for a visionary and strategic leader with solid public advocacy acumen, who can build strong relationships across the states we serve. The Alliance Executive Director is responsible for convening all YMCA Associations from across the states of Kentucky and West Virginia to gain strength, rally around the Y mission and cause, speak with a unified voice, and establish a strong regional presence. The Executive Director will be recognized as the principle advocate at the state level for Kentucky and West Virginia YMCAs focused on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. This position requires up to 50% travel across both states as well as the ability to successfully work remotely. The ED should be located in the region to ensure adequate coverage and success supporting the alliance.
1. Baccalaureate degree in political science, non-profit management, communications or related field, preferred
2. Minimum 5 – 10 years in public policy, government relations and/or YMCA management.
3. Must be professional, well organized and detail oriented. Must be self-motivated and proactive.
4. Must enjoy a collaborative work environment and work well with a team of staff and volunteers.
5. Must possess excellent writing and oral communication skills.
6. Must have the ability to work on various duties and issues, and manage multiple tasks. Appropriately and professionally work closely with the Alliance.
7. Residency in service area preferred.
8. Travel (up to 50% of the time) as needed, but also must be effective working remotely as needed.
9. Familiarity with the YMCA movement, culture, mission and purpose. Commitment to the mission of the YMCA and core values.
- Promotes active and broad volunteer participation in Alliance work.
- Engages in open sharing of information, best practices, opportunities and challenges with other state alliances and YMCA of the USA.
- Recruits, trains, supervises and releases any Alliance personnel (interns, Alliance staff).
- Develops and maintains budget, operating within the budget guidelines and reports to the Governing Council on the same.
- Ensures that all state and federal requirements for charitable organizations are met, documents are properly filed, policies and procedures are in place and reviewed annually.
- Works with the YMCA of Central Kentucky’s staff in the effective execution of key deliverables for the Alliance
- Conducts official correspondence of the Alliance, and, jointly with designated officers of the Governing Council, executes legal documents.
- Creates and delivers a plan for sharing Alliance-wide community benefit of all Y Associations in the Alliance; implementing targeted communications to advance advocacy and proactive communications of Alliance activities and events.
- Develops and implements an internal and external communications plan that includes managing the Alliance website, newsletter, social media and other applicable communications tools and channels.
- Manages Alliance marketing and public relations.
- Assures the Alliance has a long-range strategy that achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Facilitates the building of organizational capacity of all Kentucky and West Virginia Ys and provides opportunities for peer-to-peer learning and support.
- Identifies struggling associations in need of intervention support from Y-USA.
- Identifies and coordinates strategic initiatives that support and advance the objectives of the Alliance strategic plan and the Y National Movement.
- Assists Alliance CEOs/Boards with short-term and long-term strategic planning initiatives
- Understands Y-USA’s strategic plan and engages Alliance CEOs and Volunteers around the organization’s priorities
- Identifies and facilitates management agreements, shared service and merger discussions.
- Provides support to Alliance YMCAs and Chief Volunteer Officers through strategic planning and board development guidance and board training.
- Aligns Alliance work with that of Y-USA both programmatically and legislatively.
- Leverages collective influence around policy change at the local, state and national levels. Ensures the Ys speak with one voice in support of youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
- Builds relationships and bridges for the Y at the state level to advance policy, systems and environmental change and to advance strategic goals. Takes ultimate responsibility for more robust relationships with Alliance YMCAs.
- Identifies and secures public and private funding opportunities that support Alliance and/or YMCA Association goals (i.e. chronic disease prevention, education funding, childhood obesity, child care, summer camp, child safety, SAW etc.) and either pursues or refers funding opportunities to local Ys as appropriate.
- Builds relationships, forms partnerships and joins key coalitions to position the YMCAs of Kentucky and West Virginia as leading nonprofits and legislative advocates.
- Builds the capacity of Y staff and volunteers to develop relationships with public officials, and individually does so as well.
- Actively advocates on behalf of the YMCAs of Kentucky and West Virginia.
- Actively engages YMCA advocates in supporting public policy priorities/legislative agenda, and engages staff and volunteers in Alliance legislative activities through trainings, meetings, calls, etc.
- Develops annual legislative agenda with input from Public Policy Committee, Alliance members and volunteers, and contract lobbying team. Hosts/supports annual advocacy events for federal and state lawmakers.
- Actively manages the Alliance contract lobbyist ensuring delivery of contract provisions. This includes evaluating lobbyist performance annually, developing and issuing a RFP where applicable, and communicating and strategizing regularly to ensure accurate representation of Y legislative agenda and positions.
- Monitors and authors legislation that may have adverse and/or positive effects and communicate issues effectively to Ys.
- Facilitates subject matter experts among Y CEOs, staff and volunteers to respond to statewide regulations or serve on agency task forces that have direct effect on the Y’s mission. Serves as liaison to state government leaders, and relevant state departments (such as child care) and other non-profit advocacy groups.
Generates Positive Relationships
- Builds relationships with Alliance members and boards and encourages collaboration across the Alliance
- Establishes regular cadence of communications with Alliance CEOs
- Convenes Y leaders to facilitate the development of program initiatives that allow for impactful change in youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
- Serves on task forces, coalitions or committees, and works to get YMCA staff and volunteers assigned to such.
- Hosts events and engages Alliance member YMCAs in common program initiatives to raise the profile of the Y Alliance and to generate positive impacts that are measured and clearly and consistently communicated.
- Plans and administers key conferences for the Alliance, including State Advocacy Day, the annual CEO retreat and regional opportunities for staff to collaborate and learn.
- Provides CEO search support to YUSA and onboarding for new CEOs Supports YMCAs in new YMCA discussions/Capital improvements/Planning for new branches
- Partners with YUSA HUBs and Service Delivery partners to assist Alliance YMCAs.
- Seeks legal counsel where applicable.
- Assists YMCAs with special projects
Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer and/or the Governing Council.
Cause-Driven Leadership Competencies
PREFERRED CRITERIA: YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCY – ORGANIZATIONAL LEADER