The Outdoor Education staff will facilitate program areas and teach outdoor education classes to school groups, girl/boy scouts, church groups, and many other different customers. Training will include: how to teach outdoor education, facilitate classes, risk management, marketing, budget, and customer service. Ideal candidates will be committed, energetic, and enthusiastic individuals that are looking for a positive and rewarding experience.
Being flexible to work various hours which are dependent on customer needs is very important. Some days start very early, and some run late. Staff must live on the camp property for the position. Room and board is provided at Camp MacLean, in addition to a weekly stipend.
Camp MacLean is a place to learn, grow, and make memories that will last a lifetime!!
Scope of Responsibilities:
Staff will gain the following skills:
- Complete training's and certifications in First Aid/CPR, Risk Management, Customer Service, Child Abuse Prevention, Leadership Development, Classroom Management, Policies and Procedures, and the overall function of the camp.
- Learn to teach over 25 outdoor education classes.
- Develop and design classes to meet the needs of diverse groups.
- Learn to facilitate at the archery range, climbing tower, team course. high ropes course, waterfront, and more.
- Grow your communication and leadership skills by working with all departments at camp, including kitchen, maintenance, and resident/day camp.
- Assist in marketing, budget implementation, and fundraising events.
- Supports the commitment of the YMCA to child abuse prevention and safety by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor.
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children.
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor.
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required.
- Ability to perform moderate physical activity and adapt to changing work conditions.
- Work with diverse groups of people, and work with minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively with others.
- Must be able to commit to one season and commit to working 40+ hours a week.
- Must be willing to live on camp grounds for the season.
- Must be willing and flexible to work various hours/shifts including nights and weekends.
YMCA Vaccine Policy
We’re committed to the health and wellness of our employees, members, program participants, and those most vulnerable. If hired by the YMCA, you will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination no later than your start date unless an exemption for a medical condition or sincerely-held religious beliefs is granted.
- American Red Cross First Aid / CPR