At GSCY, we focus on empowering young people, improving health and well-being, and inspiring action in and across communities.
Under the direction of the Branch Executive Director, the Youth Development Director is responsible for promoting, developing, and managing all activities associated with Youth Development: Early Childhood Education, School Age Child Care, Summer Camp, and Arts & Humanities programs.
- Ensures the delivery of high quality, safe, and educational youth programming in a nurturing environment focusing specifically on the YMCA's Core Values.
- Hire, train, coach, develop and provide continuous support and feedback to staff.
- Establishes and sustains positive relationships with program participants, their families, and prospective members.
- Working knowledge of Daxko Operations & Engage: programs, membership, finance, and childcare tabs within 30 days of hire.
- Ensures all licensed childcare programs are continuously maintaining the guidelines for a safe, educational, social, and nurturing environment as set by the YMCA and other regulatory organizations.
- Implement innovative and strategic ideas to support program growth and development.
Youth Enrichment: Arts & Humanities
- Develop, plan, and implement a variety of youth enrichment programming including STEM, Visual Arts, Performing Arts, and Youth & Government.
- Assist in the coordination and administration of registration for class enrollment.
- Prepare lessons plans to provide a productive, positive learning experiences through the teaching of skills, concepts, and teamwork in each program.
- Promote progressive programming that leads participants through a planned development culminating in a desired end result.
- Communicate all changes and happenings of youth programs and events through email, newsletters, and social media promotion.
- Maintain a schedule of classes keeping the Welcome Center and Marketing up to date.
- Administer the program class waitlist to maintain and maximize class enrollment.
- Secure, maintain, store, and update all equipment and supplies as necessary.
Licensed Child Care Programs: EEC, SACC, Camp
- Fulfill all mandated requirements to act as the NJ DCF OOL Licensed Child Care Director and ACA / NJ DOH Camp Director.
- Manages, directs, and coordinates all licensed childcare programs.
- Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules, and directs teachers/counselors/camp staff and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to establish trust, motivate and development staff and achieve program goals.
- Ensures program operates within budget and that program fees are collected to minimize aged receivables.
- Assures compliance with federal, state, and local regulations as they relate to program areas, including ADA accommodations where appropriate.
- Develops and maintains relationships with state childcare licensing agency, school administration, parent groups and other organizations and agencies related to assigned programs. Responds to all agency, parent and community inquiries and complaints in a timely manner.
- Working knowledge of the applicable CCR&R (Child Care Resource & Referral Agency – i.e.: Community Child Care Solutions) processes, reporting, policies, etc. within 30 days of hire
- Maintains proper records/department files according to federal, state, and local regulations. Thorough working knowledge of NJCCIS, CCCS, EPICC, and ACA expected within 30 days of hire.
- Organizes special events for parents as a community convener even outside of typical program sessions.
- Assists with Program Committee meetings.
- Compiles and shares program statistics as required. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in program.
Cause-Driven Leadership Competencies
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.