YMCA of the Hammond Area Inc.
Summerville Family YMCA
YMCA of Catawba Valley
The de Ramel Family Squash Center, located at the Newport County YMCA in Middletown, RI, is seeking a full-time Director of Community Squash. This individual is a self-starter who is excited to build and grow a dynamic Community Squash program in a new state-of-the-art facility set to open December 2022. The ideal candidate is motivated to build our Community Squash program by engaging squash enthusiasts of all levels through lessons, clinics, leagues, camps, tournaments, and the Y’s RhodySquash Program. The incumbent will be eager to work with all members of the Newport County community to grow and sustain a vibrant squash program.
The new state-of-the-art de Ramel Family Squash Center, as part of a total $17M renovation and expansion of the Newport County YMCA, will consist of six single courts, one doubles court, pro shop, and the Jernigan Education Center to be the epicenter of RhodySquash. The Director of Community Squash will report to the NCYMCA’s Associate Executive Director and the CEO and work synergistically with other department and program directors. The Director of Community Squash will supervise the RhodySquash Program Coordinator.
While no one person will embody all the qualities enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences.
● Bachelor's degree; minimum Level 1 Coaching Certification preferred
● One to two years (minimum) experience playing and coaching squash at different levels is preferred; in particular: group and clinic-based coaching for beginner to intermediate level players; doubles experience a definite plus
● Sensitivity to different cultures and communities with a commitment to youth development
● Ability to build trusting relationships across lines of difference
● Thrives in a collaborative and fast-paced environment
● Self-motivated, proactive, and willing to "roll-up sleeves" to execute day-to-day activities
● Successful experience working with youth
● Previous YMCA work and/or volunteer experience
● Work as a team with other staff members and be willing to help others
● Keen interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills are essential
● Strong organizational skills and ability to juggle competing priorities is critical
● Extensive knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office and Club Locker or equivalent
● Ability to run squash events effectively
● Must be willing to work early mornings and/or evenings and some weekends.
● This full-time position is much more than a coaching job; it is about enhancing lives through the sport of squash.
● The ideal candidate will start in September 2022.
1. Direct and manage the squash department to ensure financial performance meets budget requirements while achieving the organization's budget goals.
2. Conduct new Y Member squash orientation(s) into the facility and programs available.
3. Ensure courts and facilities are maintained in a professional and aesthetically satisfactory manner and ensure that the environment is safe for all those who use the facility.
4. Plan and run squash sessions and activities, while implementing the organization’s mission and values. Squash sessions consist of group clinics that address technical, tactical, and physical aspects of the game.
5. Organize, schedule, administer and promote member social events, leagues, round robins, drop-in, tournaments, lessons, and all other events as applicable, that appeal to the membership to motivate health and wellness. Build a strong culture that is aligned with the mission, vision, and core values of the YMCA.
6. Recruit and retain a large and enthusiastic group of staff and volunteers to assist with programming/day to day operations of the squash center.
7. Identify, plan, and create opportunities to generate activity and memberships to the squash center. Expand and introduce the sport of squash to a wide range of future members and build a robust squash program for players of all backgrounds and levels.
8. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
9. Work with other departments and program areas within the Y to expose the Y’s current membership and program base to the sport of squash.
10. Collaborate with key staff and leadership on program-wide initiatives and projects
11. Act as an ambassador for the organization and assist with development events and stewardship as needed
12. Assist the Y’s Development Department in all fundraising efforts including our annual campaign, special events, and squash-related operational grants as necessary.
13. Network with other local non-profits, schools, and civic organizations to provide enhanced programming opportunities
14. Assistance with NCYMCA initiatives and “Director on Duty” assignments.
15. Oversee the squash pro shop operations and equipment orders.
16. Support students in their athletic, academic, and personal growth through programming and relationship-building
17. Other duties as assigned by AED/CEO.
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fundraising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance, and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change. Models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well. Uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.