YMCA of Montclair
Phoenixville Branch YMCA
YMCA of Metropolitan Fort Worth
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Aquatic Director will develop, organize, and implement high-quality aquatic programs in keeping with the Goals and Mission of the Goldsboro YMCA.
1. Bachelor's degree in recreation or equivalent desired.
2. Experience in aquatic operations, management and programming preferred.
3. Ability to direct programs through supervision of volunteers and staff, development and monitoring of budgets, marketing and public relations, program development and fundraising.
4. Prefer knowledge of, and previous experience with, diverse populations.
5. Positive, effective calm and professional communication – verbally and written –with staff, members/guests, children and parents – tailoring the communication style to the appropriate audience.
6. Ability to manage multiple projects.
1. Develop, direct, supervise, review, and evaluate aquatic program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill the YMCA objectives.
2. Recruits, hires, trains, schedules, and supervises all lifeguards and swim instructors. Develop performance standards and success measures for all direct reports and conduct an annual performance review for each.
3. Plans and facilitates staff in-service training and document training records. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete.
4. Coordinates staff schedules, phone lists, and other required schedules and records.
5. Maintain all required safety certifications including lifeguard, CPR, First Aid as well as YMCA and USA Swimming requirements to be on deck. Lifeguard Instructor trainer level preferred.
6. Serve as Certified Pool Operator and oversee aquatic facility operations and maintenance, including Spas.
7. Coordinates facility use scheduling and timely posting of aquatic hours and group use.
8. Review, evaluate and develop aquatic programming. Complete program data entry, compile program statistics and monitor and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in programs.
9. Assist in lifeguarding and teaching swim lessons as needed.
10. Develop, promote, and provide oversight for full progressive swim lesson program.
11. Assist in other tasks related to the Aquatics Center such as: rentals, swim meets, Lifeguard Trainings, CPR Trainings, and other associated items.
12. Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
13. Maintain safe swimming conditions in the pool, on deck and surrounding areas. Prevent accidents by maintaining constant observation of the pool area, enforcing health and safety rules and maintaining emergency readiness.
14. Responsible for the cleanliness of the pool and the pool area in cooperation with the Director of Facilities.
15. Respond to emergency situations according to Lifeguard, CPR, and First Aid trainings; and with the Goldsboro YMCA guidelines, policies, and procedures. Complete incident/accident reports as required and follow up with incident/accident reports as needed.
16. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
17. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in a timely manner.
18. Perform all other duties as assigned.
Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Ys values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCAs efforts for all stakeholders. Implements effective systems to develop volunteers at program, fundraising, and policy leadership levels. Secures resources and support for all philanthropic endeavors.
Collaboration: Develops strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community. Builds
and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the YMCA. Serves as a community
leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance YMCA mission and goals. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resources
for the development of others.
Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Involves members and community in the development of programs and activities. Ensures execution of plans. Institutes sound accounting procedures, investment policies and financial controls. Assigns clear accountability
and ensures continuous improvement.
Personal Growth: Fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. Current Lifeguard, CPR and First Aid certifications. LGI Certification may be required.
2. Complete additional certification and training as needed.
3. Attend screening and/or selection training that includes techniques for screening out potential offenders.