We are an all-inclusive organization joined together by a shared commitment to nurturing the potential of kids, promoting healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility. As a growing, mission-focused, and future-oriented association of YMCAs, the Metro YMCA of the Oranges has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, mission-driven, candidate to join our team at our Fairview Lake location.
The Senior Camp Counselor is responsible for a group of children and supports the ongoing supervision of all campers throughout the camp day. The Senior Counselor helps children adjust to camp according to camp rules and safety precautions, form cohesive groups and enjoy their activities to the fullest. The Senior Counselor is a source of friendship, guidance and discipline to the campers. He or she will be responsible for the planning and delivery of a variety of activities on regular camp days and supports the efforts of the Camp Director and activities.
- High School Diploma, college credits/degree in Education preferred.
- Basic understanding of Youth Development principles.
Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with all levels including staff, parents and children.
- Knowledge and expertise in horse care and riding as applicable.
- Knowledge of low and high rope courses, team building and climbing as applicable.
- Knowledge of hiking, canoeing, biking or other high adventure activities as applicable.
- Ability to facilitate learning and ability to supervise others.
- Understanding age-specific characteristics of children and positive behavior management techniques.
- Ability to be creative, innovative, flexible with high energy. Ability to quickly problem solve and take initiative that adheres to the purpose, mission, and goals of the YMCA.
- Ability to relate to children and develop professional, positive relationships with youth.
- Minimum 1-3 years of experience leading and supervising group activities.
- Ability to work as part of a team, as a role model and take initiative to identify potential risk factors and take measures to reduce them.
- CPR and First Aid certifications may be required.
- At all times, maintain a professional demeanor, as a representative of the YMCA. Wear Camp T-shirt every day. Encourage through positivity.
- Supervise campers and Junior Camp Counselors focused on their camp responsibilities.
- Lead activities and program areas during activity periods, keeping all staff and campers engaged.
- Learn Camper’s names. Respond to camper needs.
- Supervise campers in the dining hall and in a cabin setting.
- Consistently greet campers with a smile and treat them with respect and with enthusiasm.
- Develop positive relationships with families and learn why they come to our Y.
- Be knowledgeable regarding the Annual Campaign and its purpose.
- Assist in carrying out themes, special events, trips and all camp activities.
- Encourage camper’s youth development progress.
- Help group maintain camp cleanliness.
- Work cooperatively with all camp staff. Plan, implement, and lead designated camp activities.
- Perform the above responsibilities in an enthusiastic and committed manner. Do more than the minimum for campers. Treat each camp as if they are special.
- Uphold, model, teach and put the four (4) core values of the YMCA into action in all camp activities everyday: Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
- Create a positive and nurturing learning environment to instill and encourage youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
Safety & Supervision:
- Must attend and complete all required trainings.
- At all times, uphold camp safety standards. Maintain constant face counts. Will understand and practice risk management and disaster policies and procedures.
- Help maintain group control and facilitate lunchtime activities.
- Must follow all Association Aquatics Policy Guidelines. Take on designated assignments for aquatic activities. Help expedite arrival and departure from the pool (i.e. dressing rooms, etc.). Follow all YMCA, ACA and NJ Licensing standards and procedures to ensure the safest and best quality camp and to help maintain ACA accreditation.
- Take on designated assignments for aquatic activities. Help expedite arrival and departure from the pool (i.e., dressing rooms, etc.). Follow YMCA, ACA and NJ Licensing standards and procedures to ensure the safest and best quality camp and help maintain ACA accreditation
- Follow all sign-in/sign-out policies and procedures. Ensure proper handling of attendance records.
- Secure and submit all incident reports, special plans, schedule changes, and evaluations to Camp Director.
- Report all immediate concerns to Camp Director or nearest supervisor.
- Follow supervision of bus counselors and help ensure safety, expedient procedures and fun activities on the bus as applicable.
- Use redirection to appropriate activities and positive reinforcement to commend good choices when applicable.
First Aid, CPR and AED certification