Wapakoneta Family YMCA
YMCA of the Iowa Mississippi Valley
Phoenixville Branch YMCA
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. Under the direction of the COO, the Association Director of Sports (ADS) is responsible for the effective operation of all elements of assigned department. Responsibility includes but is not limited to providing senior leadership to sports program operation, program development and growth, participant satisfaction, participant and member retention and safety, community collaborations, and staff supervision. The ADS is accountable for delivering exceptional and outstanding sports programs and service to YMCA members and participants. Under the guidance of the COO, The ADS leads the development and operations of recreation and league sports system wide, acting as a trusted association resource. They are vital member of YMCA leadership staff and a highly visible representative of the YMCA mission, core values and are accountable for knowing and properly executing all YMCA policies and procedures.
1. Bachelor's degree in Physical Education, Recreation Management, or related field preferred
2. 5 years of athletic management experience with multi-site & sports preferred.
3. Current coaching certifications preferred.
4. Certifications required within 30 days of hire: CPR, AED, O2 & First Aid, New Employee Orientation, and online trainings.
5. YMCA Team Leader or Multi-team/Branch Leader certification preferred.
6. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
7. Excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills.
8. Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
9. Ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
10. Microsoft Office experience and ability to quickly learn other software programs is required.
1. Develop, coordinate, market, and evaluate all Sports program offerings and services.
2. Build, implement, and lead regional league games.
3. Function as an expert in sports program development and serve as a trusted advisor and partner to center and sport leaders. Providing recommendations for center-specific quality improvement.
4. Perform quality work within given deadlines and expectations with or without direct supervision.
5. Develop audit systems to determine compliance with the Youth Protection standards while ensuring quality benchmarks are met in program delivery and member satisfaction.
6. Audit staff, programs, and practices for standard compliance and quality control through regular documented onsite visits.
7. Lead Full-Time staff in the hiring, training, and supervision of staff within department.
8. Utilize established policies and procedures to ensure quality onboarding prior to first shift.
9. Manage staff according to the department’s budget. Any overtime must be pre-approved by supervisor.
10. Identify program issues and provide solutions to department and leadership to increase program satisfaction sustained by data, surveys, and trends.
11. Continually communicate with and inform staff about YMCA programs and current issues.
12. Define department targets and evaluate performance around achieving goals while motivating staff.
13. Implement the Association’s risk management program to ensure safe facilities and programs for members, volunteers, and staff.
14. Provide documented recommendations to center leadership for employee issues.
15. Ensure emergency preparedness through regular emergency drills, in-services, and department assessment.
16. Ensure that all staff maintain current required certifications.
17. Monitor, purchase and maintain necessary equipment through scheduled and preventative maintenance.
18. Develop and manage annual department budget. Submit monthly variance reports and accurate budget forecasts. Ensure programs operate within budget and established standards. Continuously display effective and efficient fiscal management.
19. Attend, actively participate, organize, or lead all required staff training, meetings, volunteer training, program innovation, and program development activities.
20. Support the strategic direction of the Association and appropriate cabinets and workgroups.
21. Perform office work as needed such as filing, copying, record keeping, and payroll completion.
22. Ensure that all necessary paperwork and forms are accurately completed in a timely manner.
23. Develop and maintain relationships with key partners, and other collaborative organizations and agencies related to the portfolio. Respond to all participant and community inquiries in a timely manner.
24. Play a key role in the Annual Campaign by ensuring all staff is asked to give and provide a reply; by facilitating or supporting a campaign effort or event; by collecting and sharing stories of Y impact; and by engaging volunteers in our cause-driven work and/or campaign efforts.
25. Responsible for other duties as assigned.
Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Ys values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCA’s efforts for all stakeholders. Implements effective systems to develop volunteers at program, fundraising, and policy leadership levels. Secures resources and support for all philanthropic endeavors.
Collaboration: Develops strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community. Builds and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the YMCA. Serves as a community leader building collaboration based on trust and credibility to advance YMCA mission and goals. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resources for the development of others.
Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Involves members and community in the development of programs and activities. Ensures execution of plans. Institutes sound accounting procedures, investment policies, and financial controls. Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement.
Personal Growth: Fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.