Our Camp Nurse is directly responsible for the health and care of our campers. They will organize and implement high quality Health Services for YMCA Camp Santa Maria residential camp programs with the help of the Camp Health Officer. The Camp Nurse provides leadership, direction and supervision to staff and program participants in the overnight camp experience. The Camp Nurse works with the Directors, Leadership and Support Staff, and Cabin Counselors to plan and facilitate all health, medication and first aid needs for the camp population. The Camp Health Officer provides an atmosphere of respect, acceptance and caring for campers and staff members.
Pay Rate: $600/week. This position requires you live at camp. Room and board are included. Our Camp Nurse is provided with a private bedroom and private bathroom in the administration building at camp.
Plus, we are able to offer your child(ren) the opportunity to attend Camp Santa Maria at no cost while you serve as our Camp Nurse. We can be flexible in the number of children and number of weeks you choose to serve. We are willing to work with nurses for as little as 7 days at a time, but 14-21 days is preferred.
View all openings and apply online today at https://www.ymcanoco.org/careers.
We were founded as the Young Men's Christian Association in 1844. But today, we are The Y, an association that values, and is made stronger by, its diverse people. At the YMCA of Northern Colorado, we are committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of gender, age, disability, ethnicity, sexual orientation or religious affiliation.
- 21 years old.
- Must be a Registered Nurse in Colorado
- Must have a valid US driving license.
- Completion of: Child Abuse Prevention for Supervisory Staff, Staff Training, WFA, CPR, AED, Bloodborne Pathogens. Lifeguard certification is a plus.
- Completion of YMCA program-specific certifications.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community
- Experience in resident camp preferred
- Ability to plan, lead and participate in a range of activities in a variety of outdoor/indoor settings.
Camp life can be physically and emotionally challenging. You will be asked to function at 8200 ft of elevation, in a variety of summer mountain weather ranging from snow to highs in the 90's with potential strong thunderstorms. On an average day you will walk 3-5 miles.
To protect our community, all staff are required to be fully vaccinated and up-to-date (boosted) against COVID-19.
- Directs and supervises the Camp Health Office to meet the needs of the camp community and fulfill YMCA objectives.
- Helps train, develop programs, create schedules and directs personnel and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates camp medical procedures. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
- Participates in the running of camp by engaging in planning and meeting sessions with the Camp Santa Maria support staff team.
- Coordinates the distribution of all medications and medical treatment with assistance from the support staff team.
- Keeps health records in accordance with Colorado Child Care Licensing
- Delegates medication administration to staff that will be distributing medications away from camp.
- Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in program. Keeps accurate records of all medical and treatment activities.