Duluth Area Family YMCA
YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties
YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties
The Executive Director of Finance at the Jackson YMCA serves on the CEO’s senior leadership team; oversees and manages financial matters, investments, and information systems; and provides strategic direction and leadership for YMCA business operations and staff recruitment, onboarding, and retention initiatives. The Executive Director of Finance also positions the Y as a community convener and collaborator to address critical social issues.
· Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or equivalent; MBA, CPA or CMA preferred.
· YMCA Organizational Leader certification, or willingness to obtain certification, and other required trainings as assigned, including but not limited to Child Abuse Prevention, Blood Borne Pathogens, First Aid, CPR and AED.
· Five or more years of experience in accounting and fiscal management.
· Knowledge and understanding of general business matters required including budget development, financial reporting, cash management, business taxes, banking and debt financing instruments.
· Knowledge of computer systems and project management.
· Personal computer skills required.
· Experience with investment management and asset allocation preferred.
· Experience working in a team environment and managing staff.
· Previous experience with nonprofit organizations preferred.
1. Monitors monthly financial operations, prepares analysis, and reports, and provides guidance to Board of Directors, executive, and operating staff. Works closely with operations staff on issues that affect financial outcomes.
2. Secures and allocates program or project resources so that strategic objectives can be achieved and works with program leaders/directors to secure grant funding and submit reports as needed.
3. Reviews, updates, and/or develops internal control systems for the YMCA and provides recommendations for improvement.
4. Supervises Human Resources and leads operations of accounting/finance, information systems, and other assigned areas.
5. Oversees the annual audit and meets periodically with the outside auditors to maintain communications and keep them informed of changes in the YMCA. Ensures that current accounting standards and legal requirements are met.
6. Actively engages the board in challenging conversations and decision-making to advance the Y's impact. Works directly with assigned committee(s) of the board (e.g., Finance, Resource Development and Facilities) to build volunteer relationships, develop policies, monitor their implementation, and meet the related needs of the board.
7. Anticipates trends and their implications on the future of the organization. Manages investments, under the direction of the Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
8. Works with the CEO, Executive Program Director and Executive Director of Development and Community Relations to develop annual goals, performance indicators and measurement systems for tracking strategic plan objectives. Evaluate current business models and leads efforts to modify or redesign business models where necessary.
9. Oversees preparation of reports to major funders, YMCA of the USA and governmental agencies. Oversees preparation of tax returns including IRS Form 990.
10. Oversees the development of the annual operating budget including training staff on creating, managing, and working within a yearly departmental budget.
11. Guides the organization to make tough choices about what to stop, start, and continue. Works closely with operations staff to ensure that department budgets are well-planned, realistic, and prepared in a timely manner.
12. Manages tax-exempt bond transactions and files all necessary reports. Establishes maintains and/or monitors all banking and financing relationships.
13. Records transactions, maintains records, performs daily accounting duties, and prepares reports in a timely manner on a regular basis.
14. Maintains good working relationships with auditors, bankers, investment counselors, attorneys, and other professional advisors.
15. Acts as Director on Duty in rotation with other members of the senior leadership team.