The Camp Food Service Manager ensures that high-quality and nutritional food is provided to camp participants. The goal is to provide an environment that supports the camp’s vision of growing and building relationships in an outdoor setting. The incumbent manages the camp’s food service operation within the established budget and maintains the highest standards of health and sanitation possible. The incumbent supervises kitchen staff, the ordering and preparation of food, and menu planning.
This is a full-time, seasonal position from June through August. Possibility of part-time off-season hours, especially in April, May, September and October.
Pay is negotiable based on experience.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in working in food service preparation
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience managing a kitchen including supervision or work
- direction to kitchen staff
- Upon hire, completion of YMCA-provided First Aid and CPR certification.
- Food Safe Certification by the county Public Health Department or the ability to obtain the
- Effective verbal communication skills
- Basic computer skills
- Ability and desire to work with camp staff and other young people
Ability to work within a diverse groups
- Prior experience working in camp food service
- Knowledge of kitchen equipment operation
Dedication to the philosophy and mission of the YMCA Camping programs
- Work Conditions:
- Ability to lift and carry up to 40 pounds
- Requires ability to operate all necessary kitchen equipment and cleaning supplies safely.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Develops menu plans which support healthy, nutritious meals for campers, groups and participants within the established budget.
- Supervises kitchen staff, the ordering, and preparation of food, and menu planning.
- Maintains an appropriate inventory of food supplies working with food providers to ensure
- the quality of food supplies.
- Provides menu options for a wide variety of dietary needs and restrictions.
- Prepares or oversees the preparation and delivery of meals.
- Develops and enforces safety and cleanliness protocols.
- Trains and schedules kitchen staff to meet camping needs.
- Maintains positive relationships with campers, staff, and volunteers
Current Serv Safe, or willing to obtain before summer