Be a difference maker, with the YMCA Storer Camps, the overnight camp of the YMCA of Greater Toledo. YMCA Storer Camps is located near Jackson, MI on 1200 acres surrounding Stony Lake.
Storer is a Cause Driven community of collaborative, bold, fun, dedicated individuals, whose passion is the many children, youth and guests that we guide, teach, and provide incredible experiences in an outdoor environment. At camp, you’ll find a dynamic environment and culture that is open, friendly, welcoming, and collaborative. Are you ready to be an inspiring, innovative force that prepares people for success? Their future begins now. And so does yours.
Regardless of your role with us, you’ll find so many things to love when you become part of our team. There’s our fun, challenging work environment. There’s the awesome team and supportive organization. You’ll find that everyone at YMCA Storer Camps has the same goal: to prepare people for success and inspire them to be lifelong learners. Flexible, Creative, Fun, Nurturing, Positive, Inclusive…we’re not just saying it. You’ll find these things being demonstrated here, every day.
The High Adventure Specialist reports directly to the Summer Camp Director. The incumbent is responsible to lend support to the entire Summer Camp staff and structure. The High Adventure Specialist is responsible for the safe operations and supervision of the Ropes program and activities. The High Adventure Specialist is responsible for enforcing all state and licensing regulations with camp policy.
Must be at least 18 years of age and have experience in climbing tower, tree climbing and/or high ropes facilitation or resident camp setting. Must have a sincere desire to work with children. Must have current certifications in CPR and First Aid prior to summer camp season.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Interpret, enforce and maintain the safety standards and regulations of the High Adventure area.
· Supervise general counseling staff during tower, high ropes, tree climbing activities.
· Complete daily documentation as required for high adventure activities.
· Responsible for care and upkeep of all high adventure equipment.
· Instruct classes and lead high adventure activities during designated periods.
· Responsible for participating in safety and rescue training in the high adventure program areas
· Meet as required with High Adventure Manager and other High Adventure staff to discuss schedule, program and maintenance needs.
· Follow all camp policies, rules, and regulations.
· Provide support and be a role model to all staff and campers.
· Lives in a cabin with campers and when not performing duties at high adventure will assist with camper supervision/guidance in group and camp activities.
· Participate in evening programs and activities.
· Enforce safety and health regulations.
· Any other duties assigned that enhance any/all camp programs and the experiences of all campers and participants at YMCA Storer Camps.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to plan, lead and participate in program activities in a variety of indoor and outdoor settings. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.