Be a difference maker, with the YMCA Storer Camps, the overnight camp of the YMCA of Greater Toledo. YMCA Storer Camps is located near Jackson, MI on 1200 acres surrounding Stony Lake.
Storer is a Cause Driven community of collaborative, bold, fun, dedicated individuals, whose passion is the many children, youth and guests that we guide, teach, and provide incredible experiences in an outdoor environment. At camp, you’ll find a dynamic environment and culture that is open, friendly, welcoming, and collaborative. Are you ready to be an inspiring, innovative force that prepares people for success? Their future begins now. And so does yours.
Regardless of your role with us, you’ll find so many things to love when you become part of our team. There’s our fun, challenging work environment. There’s the awesome team and supportive organization. You’ll find that everyone at YMCA Storer Camps has the same goal: to prepare people for success and inspire them to be lifelong learners. Flexible, Creative, Fun, Nurturing, Positive, Inclusive…we’re not just saying it. You’ll find these things being demonstrated here, every day.
The Nature Specialist reports directly to the Summer Camp Director. The incumbent is responsible to lend support to the entire Summer Camp staff and structure. The Nature Specialist is responsible for the safe operations and supervision of the Nature program and activities. The Nature Specialist is responsible for enforcing all state and licensing regulations with camp policy.
Must be at least 19 years of age and graduated from High School. Must have a background in natural sciences or environmental education and knowledge of instructing campers and developing lessons plans. Must have a sincere desire to work with children. Must have current certifications in CPR and First Aid.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Develop projects for class periods, ensuring that appropriate equipment and materials are available, and that projects are of interest to the campers.
· Set up program area during staff training and inventory and put away program materials at the conclusion of the summer.
· Conduct pre-camp orientation to the nature program for counseling staff.
· Organize and maintain the nature center.
· Be responsible for the care and upkeep of all animals in the nature centers.
· Schedule and teach nature activities.
· Compile lessons plans and leave a written record of the nature program.
· Assist with program activities and other activities in the village, working closely with the Village Directors.
· Provide leadership at a table at meal times in the dining hall.
· Provide support and be a role model to all campers and staff.
· Lives in a cabin with campers and when not performing duties at the nature center will
assist with camper supervision/guidance in group and camp activities.
· Interpret and enforce safety and health regulations.
· Follow all camp policies, rules and regulations.
· Any other duties assigned that enhance any/all camp programs and the experiences of all campers and participants at YMCA Storer Camps.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to plan, lead and participate in program activities in a variety of indoor and outdoor settings. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.