Be a difference maker, with the YMCA Storer Camps, the overnight camp of the YMCA of Greater Toledo. YMCA Storer Camps is located near Jackson, MI on 1200 acres surrounding Stony Lake.
Storer is a Cause Driven community of collaborative, bold, fun, dedicated individuals, whose passion is the many children, youth and guests that we guide, teach, and provide incredible experiences in an outdoor environment. At camp, you’ll find a dynamic environment and culture that is open, friendly, welcoming, and collaborative. Are you ready to be an inspiring, innovative force that prepares people for success? Their future begins now. And so does yours.
Regardless of your role with us, you’ll find so many things to love when you become part of our team. There’s our fun, challenging work environment. There’s the awesome team and supportive organization. You’ll find that everyone at YMCA Storer Camps has the same goal: to prepare people for success and inspire them to be lifelong learners. Flexible, Creative, Fun, Nurturing, Positive, Inclusive…we’re not just saying it. You’ll find these things being demonstrated here, every day.
To lend support to the entire Summer Camp staff and structure. Responsible for the safe operations and supervision of all waterfronts and watercraft programs and activities. Responsible for enforcing all state and licensing regulations and camp policy.
Must be at least 21 years of age and have had two years working in a supervisory or management position in an aquatic department or resident camp setting. Must be skilled in the Lifeguard supervision and the overall programming of an aquatic area. Must have a sincere desire to work with children. Must be a certified Lifeguard, and in CPR and First Aid. Must possess a valid driver’s license. WSI is strongly encouraged.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Provide, enforce and maintain the safety standards and regulations of the Aquatic Department
· Supervise the aquatic and counseling staff during general swim and boating activities
· Responsible for care and upkeep of all waterfront and watercraft equipment.
· Oversee the instruction of aquatic lessons during class period and take the lead in all camp waterfront and watercraft activities during designated periods
· Responsible for managing water safety drills on the waterfront.
· Responsible for implementing the Buddy System.
· Take a leadership role in staff training.
· Effectively coordinate the operation of swim checks on opening day.
· Develop weekly aquatic schedules with Village Directors, Program Directors, and Summer Camp Director.
· Perform an inventory on all aquatic equipment at the beginning and end of the summer, indicating repair needs.
· Inform the Summer Director of any events that may affect the overall well being of campers and staff.
· Maintain a written log of daily incidents and camp related phone calls.
· Attend daily and weekly staff meetings and ensure information is understood.
· Maintain an open door policy for staff and campers.
· Perform written evaluations for staff at the end of the summer.
· Follow all camp policies and procedures.
· Any other duties assigned that enhance any/all camp programs and the experiences of all campers and participants at YMCA Storer Camps.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to plan, lead and participate in program activities in a variety of indoor and outdoor settings. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.