YMCA of Metropolitan Hartford
YMCA of Greater Birmingham
YMCA of Greater Birmingham
The Director of Planned Giving is responsible to lead the organization’s deferred giving program including gifts of estates, trusts, and other deferred giving opportunities. This position will manage a portfolio of planned giving prospects and donors and serve as the fundraising liaison for the YMCA in support of the Y’s Endowment and its programs. This position has primary responsibility for training staff and supporting individuals working with donors on deferred and planned gifts such as trusts, charitable annuities, life insurance, wills, and bequests. In addition, the director will lead the planning and implementation of marketing outreach and stewardship events for the planned giving program. Provide a quality experience to members focused on YMCA core values: caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
Planned Giving Program Development and Delivery:
· Develop, reactivate and manage a Planned Giving Program including an implementation plan.
· Solicit, cultivate and close the full range of revocable and irrevocable planned gifts. Over time, maintain a personal portfolio of about 100 actively engaged donors and prospects.
· Manage a portfolio of qualified, active prospects through various stages of moves management.
· Personally average 8-10 high importance contacts and/or face-to-face donor meetings per month to ensure financial goals are met. Work closely with the financial development team to jointly cultivate blended gifts from current and prospective major donors.
· Build relationships with the planned giving prospects and donors, and with estate and financial planning professionals.
· Maintain a general knowledge of the YMCA's local and national programs in order to provide prospects, donors and professional advisors with information and materials.
· Meet personally with prospects, donors and professional advisors (70 face-to-face scheduled contacts annually) to discuss the YMCA's programs and planned giving services.
· Coordinate suggestions for planned giving vehicles with the prospects and their advisors in order to meet their estate/financial planning goals and those of the YMCA.
· Document $1M+ in planned gift notifications, annually.
· Present necessary updates to Association Board of Directors and other organizational leaders.
· Provide stewardship of donors who have already announced a commitment to planned giving.
· Timely entry of all donor and prospect activity in the Raiser’s Edge donor database. Handle processing of planned gifts including acknowledgment letters to donors and managing the YMCA's planned giving Legacy Society.
· Help plan and implement stewardship events for the YMCA's Legacy Society.
· Work with Vice President and Chief Development Officer in implementing the Principal Gifts program of the Y, including carrying out all aspects of fundraising, with particular emphasis on the Kitsap-Peninsula region.
· Personally manage a portfolio of high potential individual prospects through the identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship cycles. Forge long-term relationships with these individuals to cultivate their interest in the Y that will lead to seven, eight and nine-figure solicitations.
· Staff senior leaders and other key Association representatives in their contact with Principal Gifts donors/prospects, and build his/her own personal relationship with them.
· Provide support for Y leaders, and volunteers, and accompany them on calls where appropriate.
· Work with members, donors and friends of the Y and their advisors, sometimes behind the scenes through high-level volunteers, both external and internal to the Y.
· Collaborate with other staff, volunteers and senior leaders to develop gift ideas and strategies and to foster relationships that will be productive for the Y
· Visit prospects often in tandem with the President, Senior Y leadership and Board members; work proactively to bring prospects to Y programs for substantive visits and engagements.
The Director will convene YMCA staff, volunteers and partners to advise on the development of coordinated strategies aimed to maximize the life-time engagement and support of a portfolio of high net worth households. This role has three defining dimensions:
Principal gift work requires understanding the Y’s overarching strategic priorities. Consultation, coordination and collaboration with regional, branch and program colleagues is essential.