As a mission-driven nonprofit organization, the YMCA is committed to serving everyone in our community and ensure they have the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive — which is why we provide financial aid through our ACCESS Scholarship Program, reducing the cost of memberships, program fees and child care services offered by the YMCA of San Diego County.
Thanks to the generous donors of our Annual Campaign, qualified applicants are approved for YMCA scholarships based on a sliding fee scale designed to fit each applicant's unique financial situation.
YMCA Scholarship Application Methods
Household income may be shown through either our Express or Traditional Verification applications. Required documentation for each method is listed below.
Express Verification is offered to applicants who have an official notice of approval from one of the following organizations:
- Cash Aid
- CalFresh (Food Stamps)
- Foster Care
- Alternative Child Care Payment (CRS/CDA) and/or a certificate from CRS
- Medi-Cal and/or a Medi-Cal Benefits Identification Card within 1 year of issue
- WIC — Statement Letter/Voucher
- HUD/Section 8 — Statement Letter
Traditional Verification is available to all applicants, and requires the following documents to show household income:
- Most recent tax return — first two pages of Forms 1040 or 1040A (Self-employed individuals must include Schedule C)
- Two most recent pay stubs
- Other income verification (if applicable): SSI or Disability Statement letter; Unemployment Benefits
Need help accessing your documents? If you receive financial aid from one of these programs but need a copy of your notice of action, please contact your case worker or visit https://www.mybenefitscalwin.org/ to print out a copy.