AB212 CARES | YMCA of San Diego County

AB212 CARES (Comprehensive Approaches to Raising Education Standards) is a stipend award program for child care providers working in a CDE/EESD funded child care centers or EESD funded Family Child Care Networks.

CARES was created in 2000 and is currently funded by the California Department of Education, Early Education and Support Division.

Stipend Payment Forms

Requirements for Participation

The deadline to submit an application to participate in Year 17 of CARES is September 30, 2017.

  • Work in a CDE/EESD funded child care center or provide care through a EESD funded Family Child Care (FCC) Network.
  • Work a minimum of 15 hours per week with children under the age of 13.
  • Have your application signed by your center director or representative from the FCC Network.
  • Obtain a college plan outlining courses required to earn a CARES approved degree.
  • Work an additional 9 months and complete program requirements to earn a stipend.

Frequently Asked Questions

Program Requirement Questions

  • Where can I get help completing my application packet? Call CARES 1.866.CARES SD (1.866.227.3773), email [email protected], or make an appointment to meet with a coordinator.
  • Do I receive the stipend once my entry requirements are satisfied? No. To receive a stipend, you need to satisfy program requirements by continuing to work in the same child care program for nine additional months and completing additional college coursework towards your CARES approved degree or higher level permit.
  • I am a Family Child Care Provider. Can I participate in AB212 CARES? If you are a family child care provider participating in a EESD funded Family Child Care Network, you can participate. You will need to have your application signed by the representative of the FCC Network. When you become eligible to earn a stipend your Employment Verification Form will also need to be signed by the FCC Network staff.
  • I work in a center; what if our center closes for the summer? You are required to work for nine months to receive payment. The number of months that your center is closed will be added to your nine months.
  • What if I quit my job before my nine months are completed? If you are in at least your second year of CARES and move to another EESD funded center, you are still able to participate and earn a stipend. If you change to a center that is not funded by CDE/EESD, you will no longer be eligible to participate.
  • Which college courses count towards my stipend? All participants are required to obtain a plan from their college detailing which courses are required to earn their degree. This plan must include 24 units of Child Development unless previously completed. CARES stipends are paid based on semester units. If you are attending a college that uses quarter units, those units will be calculated to semester units and you will be paid accordingly.

Child Development Permit Questions

  • Why should I get a Child Development Permit? The Child Development Permit is an opportunity for you to demonstrate your education and expertise to yourself and others. In order to receive a stipend, participants who have already completed 6 units of Child Development college coursework must submit a copy of their permit or proof of application.
  • Where can I get a Child Development Permit Application? Log onto www.childdevelopment.org to download a current Child Development Permit Application.
  • In addition to the Permit Application, what else will I need to get my Permit? You will need a receipt of a current Live Scan as well as your official transcripts. Family Child Care Providers will need a copy of their license.
  • I already had a Live Scan done for my job. Do I need to get another one? Yes. Even though you already had a Live Scan, the fingerprints are not shared between agencies, so you need to get them done again for your Permit. You need to get a Live Scan with the ORI #A1270. The Child Development Training Consortium will reimburse up to $51 of the cost of fingerprinting when you fill out the Application for Reimbursement of Live Scan Fingerprint Processing Fees form provided in your permit application packet and attach your receipt. Before going to a Live Scan location, make sure that you make an appointment and confirm the cost and method of payment. Reimbursement is on a first come, first serve basis (funding is limited).
  • How long will it take to receive my Permit? This process can take anywhere from six weeks to nine months or longer. After the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing receives your application, you will receive a letter in the mail and can view your status by logging onto www.ctc.ca.gov.
  • Do I need to see a college counselor to get my Permit? No. If you have questions about filling out the application, or the process itself, talk to a Child Development instructor.
  • I am interested in obtaining a Master Teacher Permit. However, I need a specialization. How do I choose this? Your specialization can be almost any subject you choose. To pick a specialization, you must choose a total of six units that relate to each other. Infant Toddler Curriculum and Infant Toddler Development are often paired together for an Infant/Toddler specialization. Note that these six units of specialization are in addition to the base requirements for Master Teacher. You are required to take 24 units ECE/CD, 16 GE, 2 Adult Supervision, and the 6 units for a specialization.
  • How do I know that the college I am attending is accredited? There are several agencies that accredit colleges. If your college has been accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), you can be certain that your college meets accreditation standards for transfer and for the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Carefully explore all other accrediting agencies. Contact the Commission for more information:www.ctc.ca.gov.
  • I have been planning my career and I only want to teach. Why should I continue to progress up the matrix if I never want to be a Site Supervisor or Program Director? Just because you obtain a certain permit level does not mean that you can only perform that job. By working toward the highest level permit, you will be opening yourself to future job possibilities.
  • I am only one class away from the next highest Permit level. Should I wait until I am done with that class, and then apply? Because CARES requires participants who have already completed 6 units of Child Development Coursework to obtain a Permit to receive a stipend, it is recommended that you apply now. Also, the Permit upgrade process is considerably easier than your first-time application.
  • What do I need to submit to CARES? CARES accepts a copy of your permit or the receipt of application. If you are submitting your receipt, please send in a copy of the actual permit to CARES as soon as you receive it.