Stage One: Camper in Training (CIT)
- This session lasts for one week.
- Open to campers entering tenth or eleventh grade.
- This program is for campers looking to begin the leadership process to eventually become volunteer, staff, or learning to work with children.
- Campers will participate in riding and camp activities but also practice leadership skills with younger campers.
- There is only one CIT session per summer. If a camper is staying for multiple weeks, CIT session must be his or her last week.
Stage Two: Leader in Training (LIT)
- This session lasts for two weeks.
- Open to campers entering the eleventh or twelfth grade.
- Availability is limited, so participants are chosen from a pool of applications based on specific criteria and evaluations by camp staff.
- Applicants must have a minimum of one week experience as a previous camper at Raintree Ranch.
- Participants will not be riding horses on a regular basis, instead they will be focusing on leadership skills.
- LITs get two weeks for the price of one! We offer a reduced rate for this program since LIT’s assist campers and staff with our horses.
- LITs will assume higher responsibility and are expected to fill more of a leadership role at Raintree Ranch.
- The key focus for this program is working as a leader in a cabin group of younger campers, learning leadership skills and assisting camp staff at horse lessons.
- If a camper is attending for multiple weeks, the LIT session must be his or her last session at camp.
Stage Three: Camp Assistant (CA)
- This session lasts for three weeks.
- Only open to campers entering the twelfth grade.
- This session is considered as a three-week volunteer commitment to YMCA Raintree Ranch, free of charge. Thus campers accrue Volunteer Service Hours with this program, with a verification letter provided by the YMCA.
- Campers must fill out an application and be selected by the Camp Director. LIT program or equivalent is a prerequisite.
- Although still technically a camper, CAs will gain the skills necessary to co-lead a cabin alongside a senior staff member, help plan activities for young campers, and work with our horse wranglers.
Applications for Summer 2019 have closed. Please try again next summer.
Sioux YMCA Leadership Trip
– in collaboration with YMCA of San Diego County Overnight Camps
- Ages: 16 to 17
- Designed for Leadership campers from YMCA Camp Marston, Surf and Raintree Ranch.
- There are a limited number of spaces (6) for this one of a kind travel program.
- Two week program on the Cheyenne River Reservation - South Dakota.
- Campers gather at YMCA Camp Surf for two days to participate in group building, team work and cultural awareness trainings facilitated by YMCA San Diego and Sioux Y staff before departure to the Sioux Y’s new Volunteer Center
Pegasus Week 10: Special Session at the end of summer exclusively reserved for returning Pegasus campers
- Tailored/advanced Horsemanship and Riding Lessons
- Only open to returning Pegasus campers under age 18
- Extended trail rides
- Cook-outs, swimming, hiking and fellowship
- Teens in Motion - at least one day of Pegasus Week will be partnered with the YMCA’s Teens In Motion program where Pegasus campers will have a unique opportunity to share their passion for camp and horses with other teens who have developmental and/or physical disabilities
Summer 2019 Session 10 dates are "To Be Announced"
Weekend Retreats for Teen Leaders
For teens who attended Raintree Pegasus CIT, LIT, or CA programs in summer 2018, we offer a team-building weekend retreat! This one-night event includes:
- Leadership activities
- Team building exercises
- Preparations for a successful summer
- Community service for the camp
- A great way to meet new friends
- Meals, lodging, and staff supervision