Develop Leadership Skills at Overnight Teen Camps
We don’t just provide an incredibly fun experience for our campers – two of our overnight teen camps specifically work on developing the leadership skills that our campers will utilize throughout their life.
LIT’s – Leaders in Training
- Ages: 15 to 17
- Grades: 10 to 11
- During our LIT camp program, teenagers learn what great leaders do and say through study and example.
- Our Leadership Coordinator acts as the mentor and role model for all our LIT participants throughout the program.
- Our LIT’s are housed together as their own community, separate from the rest of the overnight youth campers.
- Campers are trained through leadership development workshops, practice exercises, and hands-on activities.
- But it wouldn’t be camp if we didn’t make time for fun activities like swimming and racing up the climbing tower!
- Our LIT’s are assigned to assist with an Explorer cabin group (“Explorers” are 7 to 11-year-old campers). This is the best way to practice and develop our teenage campers’ new skills.
- Every evening our LIT’s come together to debrief and discuss what they have experienced and learned that day.
- Once they graduate the Leaders in Training program, our participants depart with new skills and friends that last a lifetime! We also encourage successful graduates to apply for the next year’s Camp Assistant program if they’re interested.
Marston L.I.T.(2 Weeks)
Sioux YMCA Leadership Trip
– in collaboration with YMCA of San Diego County Overnight Camps
- Ages: 16 to 17
- Designed for Leadership campers from YMCA Camp Marston, Surf and Raintree Ranch.
- There are a limited number of spaces (6) for this one of a kind travel program.
- Two week program on the Cheyenne River Reservation - South Dakota.
- Campers gather at YMCA Camp Surf for two days to participate in group building, team work and cultural awareness trainings facilitated by YMCA San Diego and Sioux Y staff before departure to the Sioux Y’s new Volunteer Center
CA’s – Camp Assistants
- Ages: 16 to 17
- Grades: Entering 12th Grade
- Our CA program is a three-week overnight volunteering experience that helps transition enthusiastic campers to successful counselors.
- Teenagers in the CA program participate in leadership workshops throughout the first week.
- During the second week, CA’s are placed in a cabin under the supervision of our most experienced staff.
- CA’s are challenged daily to lead and create activities with children.
- Our CA’s are provided with an evaluation and a letter verifying how many Community Service Hours were completed.
- The CA program is a competitive volunteer experience for those teens entering 12th grade and they must apply and interview for placement.
NOTE: Applications for Summer 2019 have closed. Please try again next summer.
TO APPLY - Please complete and return the Application Form. Please note - There are a VERY limited number of openings for the CA program each summer and acceptance into the program is not guaranteed.
Weekend Retreats for Teen Leaders
For teens who attended Marston Mountaineer, CIT, LIT, or CA programs in summer 2018, we offer a team-building weekend retreat! This one-night event includes:
- Leadership activities
- Team building exercises
- Preparations for a successful summer
- Community service for the camp
- A great way to meet new friends
- Meals, lodging, and staff supervision