This post is adapted from 7 Ways to Spread Joy This Holiday Season
The holiday season is a time for giving. Help neighbors of all faiths enjoy a happier holiday while bonding as a family and modeling kindness for children.
Toy drives are among the most popular ways that families can give back in December and beyond.
Here are five more ideas to consider:
- Participate in a coat drive. Children in need may not own warm coats. New or gently used, outgrown winter apparel is especially needed during the coldest months.
- Send holiday cheer overseas. Many post offices and houses of worship participate in card drives for active-duty military members as well as veterans and their families.
- Lend a hand to a neighbor. Help shovel snow, hang holiday lights and decorations, or deliver a holiday care package to a neighbor in need.
- Serve meals. Many homeless shelters, nursing homes and food pantries need extra hands around the holidays. Kids who are on school break and typically receive free or reduced-cost lunches may also be hungry.
- Raise funds. Host a holiday bake sale in a popular community space to raise money for your family’s favorite charity.
Looking for more tips?
Watch now how members of the Y are giving back to the community year-round!