SALSA, SABOR Y SALUD
Salsa, Sabor y Salud program is a national healthy lifestyles program for
Latino families. It was developed by the National Latino Children's Institute
and Kraft Foods in 2002. It provides tools to encourage healthy habits among
Latino families. Designed by Latinos for Latinos, Salsa, Sabor y Salud
incorporates many aspects of Latino culture including, music and family
gatherings. Salsa, Sabor y Salud is a free, eight (8) week, bilingual program that
assists Latino families to make healthy food choices and to incorporate
activity into their daily lives, while involving the entire family.
Silver Wing and Smythe
Finney, Silver Wing and Smythe elementary schools all reside in the one of the most economically challenged, yet culturally rich communities of south county (San Diego). Few children have the opportunity to travel outside of their 92154 and 92173 home zip codes. Of the families the Y serves, 64 percent are of Hispanic descent and 52 percent live at or below the poverty level. In addition, many parents work two to three jobs, choosing fast food as a dinner option versus fresh foods. Obesity is prevalent in the communities served by Finney, Silver Wing and Smythe elementary schools.
The YMCA of San Diego County is dedicated to improving the quality of human life and to helping all people realize their fullest potential as children of God through development of the spirit, mind and body.
- Carlos Garcia, Health & Wellness
Director: B.S. Kinesiology with an Emphasis in Pre-Physical Therapy.
M.S. Exercise Science and Health Promotion with an Emphasis in Fitness
and Wellness. W/the Y 8 years.
- Patricia King, Camp Director: Central Michigan University w/a degree in Recreation and Facility Management. With the Y for 7 years.
- Edgar Tapia, ASES Director: Sociology and Business Finance from San Diego State University. First generation Mexican American. W/the YMCA for 5 years.
- Karina Pina-Armas, Childcare Director: Cal State San Marcos in Human Development w/an emphasis in children. Hispanic and the oldest of 6. With the Y for 8 years.
KAISER PERMANENTE VOLUNTEERS
We count on the generosity of members, partners and
donors, to help them be more healthy, confident, connected and secure.
- Board Member (South Bay Family YMCA): Mario.A.Herrera, Area Operations Manager, Kaiser Permanente
- Board Member (Border View Family YMCA): Suzanne L Pomeroy, Medical Office Administrator, Kaiser Permanente
We improve the total health of our members and the communities we serve. We expand access in our communities, improve our environments and shape health knowledge.