primetime extended day program (k-8)
PrimeTime Expanded Learning Program is offered by the Peninsula branch of the
YMCA in partnership with the San Diego Unified School District. We provide
before and after school care at no cost to families, offering a safe place for
youth to learn, grow, and thrive socially, emotionally, and physically.
Program activities include homework support, health and wellness, visual and performing arts, sports, art, digital media, leadership development, service learning, and character development.
We serve approximately 800 children each day through our 7 school sites. An Application and registration forms are necessary to enroll, and space is limited.
How much does the program cost?
- PrimeTime is a grant funded program and is completely free to its participants.
How will I know if my child was accepted into the program?
- If you are applying during the initial enrollment period for a new school year (March-May), you will be notified of your application status by mail during the month of June.
- If you are applying during the school year for the current year, you will not be notified that your application was received, but you will be notified when/if you are accepted into the program by the site supervisor.
- You can call and check the status of your application at any time by using the YMCA PrimeTime hotline 858-863-3633
Where is my child on the waitlist?
- Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what number you are on the waitlist. The waitlist is based on the number of points an applicant receives during the application process, so the wait list numbers vary from week to week. You will be notified when/if we have space. It is our goal to serve as many families as we can we the resources available to us.
I am in dire need of child care, is there any way you can move me up the list?
- Unfortunately, no accommodations like this can be made. I would encourage you to contact the boys and girls club or your local community center to see if other programs are available. I would also check with the school office to see if there are any other offerings on campus after school.
Do you make accommodations for students with special needs?
- It is our goal to serve as many people as we can with the resources available to us. Additionally, safety of all program participants and staff is our number one priority. We do serve students with special needs, and will exhaust our resources in an effort to support each child, but this program is not the best fit for all students, so we would love to sit down and talk about any necessary accommodations to see if PrimeTime is a good fit for your family.
We only need the program a couple of days a week because my child plays sports, can they still do PrimeTime?As stated in the parent handbook, all students are expected to attend the program for the full range of program hours. Priority is given to those that can attend the program daily for the full range of hours. We do allow students to leave early two days a week for parallel programs, but they are still expected to come every day. If a program does not have a waitlist, we are a little more lenient with the policy; however students attending daily ensure this program remains available to families for years to come. Our funding is based on student attendance, so students attending daily is crucial for our sustainability. Please see the attached attendance procedures for more information.
PrimeTime School Sites
- Cabrillo Elementary
- Dewey Elementary
- Dewey Elementary
- Ocean Beach Elementary
- Correia Middle
- Muirlands Middle
- Pacific Beach Middle
Go to our Registration Forms page under Child Care
Alex Espiritu, Program Director [email protected], 619-226-8888
- Contact Us